Russell

Updating to a new certificate.

Fri May 18, 2018 11:26 am

I am using the Advanced Installer Professional edition.

Our current digital certificate is about to expire and the new certificate has a changed Subject Field (the company address has changed). I see that according to this page I need to sign an update package with the old certificate and inside that package have the "Updater.exe" signed with the new certificate.

However I am not understanding exactly what I need to do. I assume I need to set the certificate in the "Digital Signature" section to the old certificate, but how do I go about signing the Updater.exe with the new certificate? I've looked at the Files section to see if there is a file based certificate I can provide but am not finding anything there. I feel I am missing something obvious.

All the best,
Russell.

Daniel

Re: Updating to a new certificate.

Mon May 21, 2018 3:30 pm

Hello Russell,

Your assumption is right. In "Digital Signature" page of your updates setup project you should choose the old certificate.

Then you should get a copy of our "Updater" tool (i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 14.8\stubs\x86\Updater.exe") and manually sign it using SignTool.exe with the new certificate. Then from "Files and Folders" page of your updates setup project you should edit the "Updater.exe" file to point to the manually signed flavor of "Updater.exe". Just double click on the "Updater.exe" file.

Thus at build time the manually signed "Updater.exe" will be embedded into your setup package.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Russell

Mon May 21, 2018 4:07 pm

Thank you so much Daniel, that makes things a lot clearer. I will give that a try.

A question - will this also work if the users update using this method after the old certificate expires?

All the best,
Russell.

Daniel

Tue May 22, 2018 9:57 am

You are always welcome Russell.
A question - will this also work if the users update using this method after the old certificate expires?
Yes, as long as the related updates setup package was signed before the old certificate expires.

Also, to avoid any unpleasant situations after your old certificate expires, I strongly recommend you to thoroughly test the upgrade scenario from old cert to new cert signed updates. You should perform the upgrade scenarios tests before the old certificate expires and make sure no error is encountered during updates installation.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”