BCh

Prerequisite Option Continue not working for Dymo

Hi,

Have the unfortunate circumstance where I need to update a prerequisite - Dymo Label Writer software - in my program.

I have created at least 3 upgrades in my software (over the last 18 months) where Dymo is a prerequisite and the options function to not continue with main installation worked as I believe it should. The installation of the main install does not start until all prerequisites complete successfully.

Due to a Dymo software issue a new Dymo release has been supplied (V8.7.1) which now does not wait until completion before the main install regardless of setting in Requirements / Prerequisites / Packages / Pre-install/ Properties / Options - "Continue with main installation even if the prerequisite is not installed" has NOT been selected.

It also gives me an Error 1001 but the prerequisite install continues successfully to completion.

I have tried a number of combinations in the Setup Files / Install Command Lines area such as /S /V/q …. /S /V/qr for the Dymo prerequisite install.

Can you suggest how I can FORCE this prerequisite to complete prior to the main install starting.

If I place the DYMO prerequisite as a Post-Install I get no Error 1001 but not sure if I can FORCE a reboot using a Custom Behavior since main install has completed.

Thanks,
Brian
Eusebiu

Re: Prerequisite Option Continue not working for Dymo

Hi Brian,

This may happen if the "Dymo" prerequisite uses a bootstrapper that launches the actual installation of the product and then exits. Since, your main package launches that bootstrapper, it waits for its return code and then continue the installation.

Adding a custom action to restart the machine does not work, because the reboot may happen before the prerequisite installation to finish (in case the prerequisite is added as 'post-install').

A solution that I can think of, in order to avoid this, is to get rid of the prerequisite bootstrapper, if possible. Maybe, extract the resources from the bootstrapper and configure them as a prerequisite instead.

Another option, is to repackage the prerequisite and add the captured package as a prerequisite. You can see more details in the "Repackage an existing installation" tutorial.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
BCh

Eusebiu,

Thanks for reply.

Have tried to do your suggestion re Packaging an existing installation.

Is it in Customize Setting when setting a Current Profile that you "try" and define all the File Types / Files and Folders / Registry etc that the "old" install uses as part of it's installation?

If so since I have no idea what the DYMO install does how can I be sure I catch ALL changes?

In trying your suggestion I have entries that have nothing to do with DYMO.

Brian
Eusebiu

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the delayed replay.

Indeed, you cannot be sure that the repackager will catch all the changes made by the DYMO installer, but using the configuration of the "Default" profile usually works as expected. In fact, there are more chances for the repackager to catch some noise than missing some changes.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
BCh

Eusebiu,

Thanks.
I received the following reply from DYMO support.

**************************************************************************************************************
We added some prerequisites to the DLS installer with version 8.7.0, so now there are higher chances that a reboot may be needed to complete the installation. Therefore the return code from the installer should be inspected by your software and appropriate actions should be taken. Can you check the return codes from old and new DLS installers and let me know what they are?
**************************************************************************************************************

I tried to get a return value by defining property DYMORESULT in Requirements | Prerequisites | Packages | Pre-install for the DYMO package in Setup Files | Main Setup File and Save return value in this property.

The following is taken from the log file which shows to me that the return value of DYMORESULT is 0. Is that correct? Even though I received Error 1001 while the DYMO installation continues but the Main install fails.

MSI (c) (6C:78) [17:49:08:306]: Doing action: AI_DpiContentScale
Action 17:49:08: AI_DpiContentScale.
Action start 17:49:08: AI_DpiContentScale.
MSI (c) (6C:D8) [17:49:08:306]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Users\brian\AppData\Local\Temp\MSIDA6E.tmp, Entrypoint: DpiContentScale
MSI (c) (6C:C8) [17:49:08:306]: Cloaking enabled.
MSI (c) (6C:C8) [17:49:08:306]: Attempting to enable all disabled privileges before calling Install on Server
MSI (c) (6C:C8) [17:49:08:306]: Connected to service for CA interface.
MSI (c) (6C!B4) [17:49:08:385]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding AI_SYSTEM_DPI property. Its value is '192'.
MSI (c) (6C!B4) [17:49:08:385]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding AI_SYSTEM_DPI_SCALE property. Its value is '200'.
Action ended 17:49:08: AI_DpiContentScale. Return value 1.
Fatal error: Error 1001.
MSI (c) (6C:78) [17:49:16:010]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding DYMORESULT property. Its value is '0'.
MSI (c) (6C:78) [17:49:16:010]: Doing action: FatalError
Action 17:49:16: FatalError.
Action start 17:49:16: FatalError.
Action ended 17:49:18: FatalError. Return value 1.
MSI (c) (6C:78) [17:49:18:089]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting AI_BOOTSTRAPPER property. Its current value is '1'.
MSI (c) (6C:78) [17:49:18:089]: Doing action: AI_SHOW_LOG
Action 17:49:18: AI_SHOW_LOG.
Action start 17:49:18: AI_SHOW_LOG.
MSI (c) (6C:08) [17:49:18:089]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Users\brian\AppData\Local\Temp\MSIB4.tmp, Entrypoint: LaunchLogFile
Action ended 17:49:18: AI_SHOW_LOG. Return value 1.
MSI (c) (6C:78) [17:49:18:198]: Doing action: FatalError
Action 17:49:18: FatalError.
Action start 17:49:18: FatalError.
Action ended 17:49:18: FatalError. Return value 1.
MSI (c) (6C:78) [17:49:18:198]: Doing action: AI_RemoveTempFiles
Action 17:49:18: AI_RemoveTempFiles.

Brian
Eusebiu

Hi Brian,

Usually, the return value 0, means success. However, as discussed above, it seems that the DYMO installation is launched by a wrapper that exits and returns that value before the installation to be completed. That is why the DYMO installation continues.

However, I'm not sure why the "Error 1001" is thrown. Is the DYMO prerequisite addes as an URL prerequisite? If so, can you use its link in an Internet Explorer browser and see if it is successfully downloaded? Otherwise, can you sens me a sample project that reproduces the problem to support at advancedinstaller dot com, so I can investigate it?

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Building Installers”