srikanth4sree

Create MSI with Bootstrap

Hi Team,

I am using Advanced installer to create exe file. We got new requirement to create MSI with advance installer.
i have modified the current aip file ,
in build parameter i have check the "single MSI package (resources inside) "
after that i have created MSI, but not able install it.Also attached the aip file. can any one help me MSI with Bootstrap option.

i am using below command for creating MSI
# Create new project
.\AdvancedInstaller.com /newproject $aipFile -type professional #-overwrite

Start-Sleep -s 10 # Gives the os time to create files

Write-Host "Execute commands on $aipFile"
Write-Host Get-Content $commandsFile
# Execute the commands list
.\AdvancedInstaller.com /execute $aipFile $commandsFile -nofail

Start-Sleep -s 10 # Gives the os time to create files

#Write-Host "Execute commands to add Font Name on `"Proxima Nova (TrueType)`" $aipFile"
#AdvancedInstaller.com /edit $aipFile /RegisterFont APPDIR\Fonts\proximanova-regular.otf -fontname "Proxima Nova (TrueType)"
#Start-Sleep -s 10 # Gives the os time to create files

# Build the actual MSI
Write-Host "Build the AIP"
.\AdvancedInstaller.com /build $aipFile
Attachments
base.aip
(53.37 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
Catalin

Re: Create MSI with Bootstrap

Hello and welcome to our forums,

First of all, can you please give me more details about what exactly is not working with your MSI setup?

Also, please create an installation log using the steps from our "How do I create an installation log" tutorial and send it together with the .aip (setup project file) used to build the MSI package by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com. The current attached AIP project seems to be configured to build an EXE package.

On the other hand, I noticed that you are using some options that are only available when deploying an EXE setup package, for
example "Run as administrator" option ( from "Install Parameters" page). Another example would be the "Surface" theme, which is not supported by MSI package types. This may cause some UI glitch when used within an MSI package type.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
srikanth4sree

Thanks for reply Catalin,

The attached aip file is used for creating exe only, that correct. i want create MSI file using aip file, for that i need to change the aip file. can you please let me know what all the changes required in AIP file to create MSI file. Other wise can you please make the changes to AIP file send it across me, that will be great help for me.

As You said some option are not working when we use msi, thats fine for me.like surface is not working in MSI, i will use classic.
Please let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks
Srikanth
Catalin

Hello Srikanth,

Please follow these steps on the setup project (.aip file) that you sent me. On the left pane, go to "Install parameters" page and uncheck the "Run as administrator" option.

Now go to "Themes" page, select Classic and then press the "Set as current" button.

After you've done that, go to "Prerequisites" page and remove the Pre-install prerequisites, as they are not supported by the MSI package type.

The last step is to go to "Builds" page, and select the "Single MSI (resources inside)" package type.

If this doesn't help, please come back to me with more details about what is going wrong with your MSI package installation and send a setup project (.aip file) for the package that fails and an installation verbose log at suuport at advancedinstaller dot com.

Best regards,
Catalin
srikanth4sree

older version of exe , app directory location in user specific folder. We got new requirement to change the app directory to ProgramFilesFolder.

For that i have made below change to AIP file.
Application Folder : [ProgramFilesFolder]\[Manufacturer]\[ProductName]
Download update in this folder : [ProgramFilesFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]\updates\

Previous values are :
Application Folder : [LocalAppDataFolder]\[Manufacturer]\[ProductName]
Download update in this folder : [LocalAppDataFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]\updates\

After creating new exe, i am installing new exe on top of old version, still app directory showing as LocalAppDataFolder.
I have un-install older version, after that installing newer version of exe , directory showing as ProgramFilesFolder.

also attached the project file and screen shot for reference.

please let me know what all the changes need to done, to install newer version on top of existing version.
Attachments
base.aip
(118.6 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
Catalin

Hello Srikanth,

From what I can see, you have a problem during an "Upgrade". An upgrade is essentially the removal of an older product, followed by the installation of a newer product. In case there are no previous versions installed, the setup will proceed with a normal installation.
After creating new exe, i am installing new exe on top of old version, still app directory showing as LocalAppDataFolder.
In order to avoid this behavior, you can go to "Upgrades" page from the "Product Information" group and uncheck the "Use original installation path when upgrading" from the "Application Versions" tab. If that option is checked, after uninstalling the older version, the newer version will use the path that the older version had, in your case the "LocalAppDataFolder".
I have un-install older version, after that installing newer version of exe , directory showing as ProgramFilesFolder.
Yes, this worked because no previous version was uninstalled automatically by the setup, thus it was "impossible" for the setup to use an "original installation path", so it performed a normal installation with the information provided by you (e.g. Application Directory being set to "ProgramFilesFolder").

Hope this helps!

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll gladly assist.

Regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”