MLiss@Cetrus.com

General question about "Updater" and service

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:52 pm

Hi,

I have used the Updater on an application and it worked great...

However, I am contemplating using the Updater on a Windows service.

Are there any examples or "best" practices about using the Updater with a service?

One thing that I know off the top of my head... services should not show any User Interface ... how does the Updater deal with that?

Catalin

Re: General question about "Updater" and service

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:40 am

Hello,
Are there any examples or "best" practices about using the Updater with a service?
First of all, please make sure that the setup is installed by an "Administrator" user and has a "Per-Machine" installation type. Also, when the setup installs updates silently, no UI will be spawned, so make sure you have no custom action which spawns an UI.
One thing that I know off the top of my head... services should not show any User Interface
Yes, you are right. Unlike regular applications, Windows Services do not have a user interface. They run in the background and the user does not directly interact with them.
...how does the Updater deal with that?
The updater application will forward the updates setup installation to a service which integrates with the updater application. So, all you have to do is to configure the updater project to install the updates silently using a silent installation command line.

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

MLiss@Cetrus.com

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Thank you for the reply... a couple of more questions:
Catalin wrote: First of all, please make sure that the setup is installed by an "Administrator" user and has a "Per-Machine" installation type. Also, when the setup installs updates silently, no UI will be spawned, so make sure you have no custom action which spawns an UI.
Do you mean the 'original' install, (the one that first installs the service) or the one that is doing the update?
Catalin wrote: The updater application will forward the updates setup installation to a service which integrates with the updater application. So, all you have to do is to configure the updater project to install the updates silently using a silent installation command line.
You mean '/qn' needs to be in the command line switches ?

Catalin

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:13 am

Hello,
Do you mean the 'original' install, (the one that first installs the service) or the one that is doing the update?
Yes, I meant the one that first installs the service.
You mean '/qn' needs to be in the command line switches ?
Yes, you should append the "/qn" as a command line parameter.

Regards,
Catalin

MLiss@Cetrus.com

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Thank you... that helps !

Catalin

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:04 am

You're always welcome! I am glad I could help!

Regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”