cchoi

Installing a 64bit exe as a service

Hi all,

I have a mixed mode package type installer and I would like to register a 32bit exe(in my case an asp net core 2.1 self contained application using Kestrel, so I don't need to worry about IIS) on 32 bit systems as a service and visa versa on 64 bit.
Is this possible?

Thanks!
Catalin

Re: Installing a 64bit exe as a service

Hello Chris,

First of all, sorry for the delayed reply.
... I would like to register a 32bit exe(in my case an asp net core 2.1 self contained application using Kestrel, so I don't need to worry about IIS) on 32 bit systems as a service and visa versa on 64 bit.
In order to achieve that, you can condition the installation of component which contains your .EXE using VersionNT64 property.

Your scenario could be implemented following these steps:
1) Go to "Files and Folders" page --> click on the .EXE that you want to install on the 32-bit OS --> click on "Go to Component" button from the toolbar.

2) In the "Condition" field, you can use the following condition:

Code: Select all

NOT VersionNT64
This will cause your .EXE to be installed only on 32-bit OS's.

3) Repeat the steps 1) & 2) for the .EXE that you want to install on 64-bit OS's. In the "Condition" field, add the following condition:

Code: Select all

VersionNT64
This will cause your .EXE to be installed only on 64-bit OS's.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
cchoi

Catalin,

Thank you for your suggestion, I will try it and let you know if it works!

Chris
Catalin

Hello Chris,
Thank you for your suggestion, I will try it and let you know if it works!
You're welcome!

Also, please keep in mind that, at first, your two EXEs may be part of the same component. Let's say you have service32.exe and service64.exe being part of the same component (let's say the component is called service32). In order to add service64 to a new component, you can go to Organization page from the Package Definition group, press the > button to expand the service32 component, right click on your service64.exe and click "Move to new component"

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”