MLiss@Cetrus.com

Skipping search during silent install

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi,

I have a custom search action that does not need to run during a silent install ... as all parameters for the install are passed to the installer...

Is there a way to circumvent the custom search?

I have attached my installer for your review.
Attachments
PMServiceInstaller.aip
(76.79KiB)Downloaded 286 times

Catalin

Re: Skipping search during silent install

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:00 am

Hello Mike,

There are two ways in which you can condition your custom action to run only on Full UI:
1) You can place it under "Wizard Dialogs Stage" in "Custom Actions" page. This actions group is skipped when the setup runs silently.

2) You can condition your custom action to run based on the UILevel property. In your case, if you want your custom action to be run only on Full UI, you could set the condition like this:

Code: Select all

NOT UILevel=2
or

UILevel <> 2
or

UILevel > 2
The values that the UILevel can take are the following:
-2 for completely silent installation
-3 for simple progress and error handling
-4 for authored UI and wizard dialogs suppressed
-5 for Full UI

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

MLiss@Cetrus.com

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Catalin wrote:Hello Mike,
There are two ways in which you can condition your custom action to run only on Full UI:
1) You can place it under "Wizard Dialogs Stage" in "Custom Actions" page. This actions group is skipped when the setup runs silently.
Catalin - thanks
However, my search does not show up in custom actions:
Search_NotInCustomActions.PNG
Search_NotInCustomActions.PNG (48.78KiB)Viewed 5341 times
Here is the definition of my search:
Search_Definition.PNG
Search_Definition.PNG (23.94KiB)Viewed 5341 times
Where does this search get initiated from?

Catalin

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:14 am

Hello Mike,

I'm afraid I misunderstood your first post. I'm sorry for that.

In case you are using our predefined support for a search, that search is executed in either "Wizard Dialogs Stage" or "Install Execution Stage" during the "AppSearch" standard action, as stated in the "Windows Installer Standard Actions" article. If the package uses an "UI", the search will be performed by "InstallUISequence" --> "AppSearch". Otherwise, the search will be performed by "InstallExecyteSequence" --> "AppSearch".

In this case, we have to condition the execution of the "AppSearch" standard action. Please keep in mind that this will affect all your searches (in case you have more than one). In order to achieve this, you can go to "Custom Actions" page --> under "Install Execution Stage" right click on any of the action groups --> "Show Standard Actions" --> "Searches" --> and click on "AppSearch". This way, the "AppSearch" standard action will be shown in the actions groups. Now click on the earlier added action and in "Execution condition" field you can add one of the following conditions:

NOT UILevel = 2
or

UILevel <> 2
or

UILevel > 2
Hope this helps!

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team