Bogdan23

Add event log installer to setup project.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:22 am

Hello,

Sorry if the question was asked before I couldn't find it. ;)
I have an installer class(heredits from Installer) that has to create on the target machine an Application Log I'm not sure what custom action to use for this. Tried .Net Installer Class Action but it doesn't create the log. I use an older typeof project where I just add in custom actions the project output and is all good.

Ty in advance.

Bogdan

Bogdan23

Re: Add event log installer to setup project.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:42 am

I really need some help on this before purchasing the installer, if anyone is kind enough.

Catalin

Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 am

Hello Bogdan and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

Indeed, in order to achieve what you want, you could use a ".NET Installer Class action" custom action. For more details about this custom action, you can have a look at our ".NET Installer Class action" article.

In what regards the fact that your log is not created, you can try to debug your custom action using our "How to debug a .Net Installer Custom Action" article.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Bogdan23

Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:07 pm

Hey Catalin thanks for answering,

I choosed another path to install the log, powershell script and works fine but Im facing another problem.
I try to register a a dll in com so I can use it in a VB project on the target machine. Problem Is when I try to run the VBA code in word I get an error
"object creation by Activex not possible". All works fine on my dev machine.
Here's what I did to register the dll as COM.In the Files and Folder tab, I Right clicked the dll -> Properties -> Auto registration and checked last radio button.
In COM tab clicked on the GUI and checked Active X Control property.
Maybe you can give me the stepts how I should corectly register the dll?
Sorry for bad explination I'm not so used with all this COM components.

Thanks in advance,
Bogdan

Catalin

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 am

Hello Bogdan,

From what you have said, I can only think of two issues here. One of them is that one of the COM dependencies is not correctly deployed on the target machine, and the other one is that the registration of the COM file fails when using our predefined support for registering COMs.

First of all, please make sure that all dependencies of the COM file are deployed correctly on the target machine. If this is not the case, you can try to register your COM file using a custom action. In order to achieve this, you can have a look on our "COM extraction from .ocx .exe does nothing or is incomplete" thread.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Catalin

Bogdan23

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:27 am

Hi Catallin,

Thanks for answering. The dependencies must be registered in COM also or they just have to be added in Application folder or what do you mean by "dependencies deployed correctly"?

Thanks for help!
Bogdan

Catalin

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:38 am

Hello Bogdan,

By dependencies I meant the resources that are necessary for the right functioning of your COM (e.g. a dll, a config file). If you are not the developer of the COM file, you can check its dependencies by going to "Files and Folders" page --> right click on your file --> click on "Add dependencies".

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”