IanB

DLL & OCX

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:48 pm

I am still trying to learn this package. I created a new install for a vb6 application. Having scanned the folder and project Advanced Installer did a good job of creating a setup. My 'problem' is that when I look on the Files & Folders tab under Application Folder I see, along with the exe and other required files, it shows all the OCX and DLL's that the app uses such as MSCOMMCTL, RICHTX32 etc. These are standard Microsoft libraries and I would normally expect these to be located in SYSWOW64 or similar. Indeed I would have expected that these libraries are not installed if they already exist on the target system as they may be dependent on the version of Windows in use.
I do have an exe.local file in the folder (for another dll which does belong in the app folder) so they will possibly work but I've never seen these MS libraries put in there, certainly other installers don't do this.

Can someone explain why they are being installed in the app folder?

Will these always be installed, even if they are already registered on the target computer?

Is this normal behavior and why?

Thanks
Ian

Daniel

Re: DLL & OCX

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:02 pm

Hello Ian,

Thank you for giving Advanced Installer a trial.

Yes the related DLL files will be always installed as long as they are added in the "Files and Folders" page of your setup project.

The related DLLs are scanned and included by Advanced Installer into your setup project because they are detected as dependencies for your application. However, there is a lot room for improvement in what regards the implementation of our Visual Studio project template and hopefully in the future we will not include in the setup project the common dependencies which are delivered with the OS.

For now I recommend you to manually delete from "Files and Folders" page the related system dependencies,

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”