Terabithia

Windows Permissions

Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:10 pm

I have an application that basically copies files to various locations on the users system, such as the Program Files and Public Documents folders. My application runs inside of another, so I don't need Start Menu entries or shortcuts. The problem with this approach is Windows permissions, especially with Windows 10. Often my application is denied copying the needed files. This brought me to using Advanced Installer, however I am still seeing the same issues. My application does everything I need, so if I can figure out how to deal with the permission issues it would be great.

I am also seeing that Advanced Installer runs my setup program twice, not sure why that is. I have saved the folder that I have been distributing with my setup program and the needed files to be copied to the Target Computer > Application Folder. The application I run inside of may have several version installed, so my application prompts the user for the desired version, which is why I can't just select a location in the Program Files 64 option for my files.

Any thoughts?

Daniel

Re: Windows Permissions

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,

If you need to configure permissions for your installation folder, then you can use our "Permissions" support. Just go to "Files and Folders" page. right click on the "Application Folder", choose "Properties" and then go to "Permissions" tab.

If this is still of no help, then please give us more details about the issue you are facing with. Also, you can send us your AIP (setup project) by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can review its settings.
I am also seeing that Advanced Installer runs my setup program twice, not sure why that is.
I am not so sure why this happens. Could you try to isolate the behavior into a small test case or pattern which we can follow to test this on our side too? This will be of great help to us.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”