sfaust

Installer that wraps other installers?

I have a project where I need to make a 'group' installer for several other msi packages. I would then like to have a feature checkbox for each msi that I put in there, so the user can select which ones to run (silently). I have found chained prerequisites which may be the way to go, but they don't seem to be able to be added to features, so how to I get a checkbox on the UI where the user can say 'Install this one, and not that one'?

I also realize that I could add all the files to a single installer and add them to the features, but in this case the other installers have to be available to run individually and have to be able to recognize install state from either place. Is this possible?
Catalin

Re: Installer that wraps other installers?

Hello,
I have a project where I need to make a 'group' installer for several other msi packages. I would then like to have a feature checkbox for each msi that I put in there, so the user can select which ones to run (silently).
In order to achieve this, you can use our predefined support for "Feature Based' prerequisites. "Feature Based" prerequisites are additional packages which are handled as features during your main installation. They are launched right before the main installation after pressing the [ Install ] button. This means that for every "Feature Based" prerequisite you add in your package, a new feature will be created (having the prerequisite name) in "Organization" page. After doing so, you can add the "PrerequisitesDlg", letting the end user decide which of the prerequisites to be installed on the machine. It will display all the needed prerequisites, will install those missing and skip those found on the machine.
I have found chained prerequisites which may be the way to go, but they don't seem to be able to be added to features, so how to I get a checkbox on the UI where the user can say 'Install this one, and not that one'?
"Chained Prerequisites" are not listed in the "Organization" page. They do not create a new feature entry in the "Organization" page, like "Feature Based" and "Post Install" prerequisites. That being said, I am afraid it is not possible to install a "Chained Package" based on user selection. However, you can condition the installation of a "Chained Package" using the "Condition" field from "Prerequisites" page --> "Chained" --> "YourChainedPackage".
I also realize that I could add all the files to a single installer and add them to the features, but in this case the other installers have to be available to run individually and have to be able to recognize install state from either place. Is this possible?
I am afraid I do not understand your scenario here. Can you please give me some more details about this, please (maybe exemplify)?

Let me know if this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
sfaust

Ok great, thank you for your help. I think the top is what I was looking for, let me try it and see.

Thanks!
Steve
Catalin

Hello Steve,

You're always welcome!

If you have any further questions or doubts, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll gladly assist!

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”