rwoolsey

Updater custom configuration options

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi,

I'm currently building a proof of concept installer/updater with the hopes of migrating an existing installer to this platform. We are currently using a custom updater which checks an ID generated at application runtime against a remote update file to determine whether or not a specific update should be applied. This allows us to test bugfixes and one-off features on a per install basis for certain customers. I haven't noticed any similar functionality within the advanced updater documentation, but thought I would pose the question in case there are undocumented methods that could be used to accomplish something similar.

Is it possible for the updater to read registry values or other arbitrary data and compare with custom fields in an update configuration file?

Thanks

Eusebiu

Re: Updater custom configuration options

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.
Is it possible for the updater to read registry values or other arbitrary data and compare with custom fields in an update configuration file?
This is actually how the Advanced Updater works. In order to find if an update should be applied, it checks a registry content, file version or runs a custom executable and take the appropriate action based on the result returned.

You can configure this in the "Update Installed Detection" tab of the "Updates Configuration" project. For more details you can follow the "Create Updates File" tutorial.

Let me know if this helped, otherwise give me more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”