thar003

Symantec CSP 7.2.237 Installer Creation

Even though I am the person who manages the white listing and other cyber security things, I am also the person who is trying to help automate the install process for our field techs as well. I have been attempting to package the .exe, or even wrap into a .msi with the parameters etc. I was able to create the MST via response, and install most of Symantec CSP, and then it failed stating that it was interrupted. This is not my normal role and the person who's job this is is more clueless than me. I am needing for the fields to be pre-populated during the install because the techs always seems to fat finger the management server name and the like. I would like for the install to be silent, so only showing the progress bar, but I haven't been able to get that far. I have little to no experience on the windows side of things for things like this and I am starting to wonder if this is the best option.

I am using the newest and latest and greatest version of Advanced Installer and it seems to be so confusing for what I need it to do. I have the original agent.exe file, and I copied the agent.msi out of the temp folder and have been attempting to utilize that for the MST, etc. All I need for it to do is accept the terms and conditions, input the management server name, apply the cert (simple click browse, and point to the local folder, and then fill in a few fields. Am I making this harder than it should be? I don't need to install anything that the installer doesn't already have. I have also tried to apply the cmdline parameters and create a .bat, but that still failed. I just don't know enough since it's not my normal role.

What I need for the program to fill in
MANAGEMENT_SERVER=10.10.10.10
SSL_CERT_FILE=C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Agent-cert.ssl
COMMON_CONFIG_GROUP=Baseline
IPS_CONFIG_GROUP=Baseline
IPS_POLICY_GROUP=Main

Everything else will be default. I've read the documentation for both products, but i'm still at a loss. Suggestions?
Catalin

Re: Symantec CSP 7.2.237 Installer Creation

Hello and welcome to our forums,

First of all, thank you for using Advanced Installer.

In what regards your scenario, I would suggest the following: Add the already existing setup ("Symantec CSP 7.2.237") as a prerequisite in our "Prerequisites" page. After doing so, you can pass the needed parameters in the "Install Command Lines" fields (under the "Setup Files" tab, "Prerequisites" page). You will notice that there are 3 fields under the "Install Command Lines", those being:

-"Full UI" -> the commands from this field will be passed to the setup when the main installer runs with Full UI.

-"Basic UI" -> the commands from this field will be passed to the setup when the main installer runs with Basicl UI.

-"Silent (no UI)" -> the commands from this field will be passed to the setup when the main installer runs with no UI (silently).

Here is a step by step to help you implement those said above:

- Go to "Prerequisites" page and add your setup as a "Feature-Based" prerequisite by right clicking on "Feature-Based" --> "New Package Prerequisite"

- From what I can see, you will also need a certificate for this. We can add this as an additional file from under the "Setup Files" tab by pressing the "Add files..." button and selecting your certificate.

Quick Note: At install time, the folder extraction path for your files is the one from the "Download/extraction folder" field. By default, its value is:

Code: Select all

[AppDataFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]\prerequisites
- After adding the files, it's time to configure the command lines (the parameters you need to pass to your setup). This can be done from within the "Install Command Lines" fields. Here is how the command line fields could look like:

Code: Select all

/S MANAGEMENT_SERVER=10.10.10.10 SSL_CERT_FILE=[AppDataFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]\prerequisites\Agent-cert.ssl COMMONG_CONFIG_GROUP=Baseline IPS_CONFIG_GROUP=Baseline IPS_POLICY_GROUP=Main
After doing so, you can simply deploy the resulted .MSI (after you have built the project) by using a command line as it follows:

msiexec /i PathToYourMSI /qn

This way, your package will be deployed completely silent.

Please let me know if that helps!

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
thar003

Thanks! Ok that is closer, but I guess the main thing is to automatically fill in the fields. On second thought, if they don't see it running or any type of progress, they will just reboot. I think I can at least pre fill in the fields under install parameters correct? The fields that I need auto filled are the management server, cert locations and what ever else was showing on my previous post. You did get me a lot farther along than I was!
Catalin

Hello,

If you do not want a fully silent installation, then you can use the /qb command line parameter instead of /qn. That way, the UILevel will be set to "Basic UI" which means they will see only a progress bar loading, meaning they will know the setup is in a process of installation.

In what regards the auto filled fields, yes, you are correct, you can set them in "Install Command Line" fields, as I have explained in my previous post.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Catalin
thar003

Just tried again, no matter what I do, it still is not automatically filling out the fields in the installer. This should be easy and very simple to do, but it's not. All I want t to do it to create a package that will pre-populate the fields while they are installing, they will download the package from Add/remove programs, but before I even get that far I need to be able to test it. The command lines are not carrying over, the only thing that is installing is the packaged installer which I have to keep removing and since the fields are not populating, I cancel the CSP install. Seems more like a complete and utter hassle to be this complicated. Why can I not just run the CSP installer and have it to record the fields? I thought that the MST would help with that, but I have yet to get that to work either. I do Cyber security, not sys admin stuff usually and i've created packages before a few years ago and it wasn't this difficult, but I can't remember how. If there is a way to avoid using any command line or scripting that would be great. I have went though everything I can but its either really vague or stops right where I need it to be. I'll keep puttering along. I am only doing this as a favor and I highly regret it.
Catalin

Hello,

In order for me to further investigate this, can you please share with me the setup ("agent.exe") which you wish to install? If yes, please send us a download link by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can test this on our side.

All the best,
Catalin
thar003

I have submitted as requested, but still no response. I'm still having issues with the program not installing.
Catalin

Hello Tharp,

I have answered your e-mail on October 1st (two days after you have sent me the files).

Can you please check your e-mail on the above specified date?

Also, I have replied on my previous e-mail, so you can easily locate it in your inbox.

Kind regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”