bondsmith

Firefox: After Repackaging and Install Firefox runs an installer every time it is run

Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi, I am new to Advanced Installer, and repackaging software in general.

I have repackaged Firefox 60.2.0 ESR with: Convert > Repackage Installation in AI with a windows 7 hyper-v vm. But after install it on my test VM, and run firefox. The browser launches a small user based installer to install the user profile (I assume). This would be ok but once the browser is closed and run again, it runs the same installer every time firefox is launched.

pic - Firefox is installed:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pEJKP ... 4yPfWm4AOy

pic - But every time it runs, it gives me this configuration "setup". It happens for every user that runs it.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p1DmN ... ENkLnWYn0M
Firefox 60.2.1 ESR (x64).aip
Here is my .aip if that helps.
(417.19KiB)Downloaded 373 times
I tried attaching my Installer log file but it's apparently too big (1200KB). So here is a link to the file from Google Drive

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aJrBoj ... sp=sharing

Daniel

Re: Firefox: After Repackaging and Install Firefox runs an installer every time it is run

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,

This could happen due to the "Advertised shortcut" flag set on your installed application shortcuts. This will indeed trigger a product repair operation each time the shortcut is used if there are missing installation resources. Maybe the browser application always delete some resources installed by the setup package on close operation and thus this could generate the related behavior in a loop.

Can you please proceed like this:

1. open your setup project in Advanced Installer and go to "Files and Folders" page
2. uncheck the "Advertised shortcut" flag for all of your app shortcuts (from "Application Shortcut Folder" and "Startmenu\Programs")
3. go to "Organization" page and select in turn both of your product features; from right pane set the "Advertise Settings" option to "Disable advertise"

Hope this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

bondsmith

Re: Firefox: After Repackaging and Install Firefox runs an installer every time it is run

Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:41 am

That seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks! :)

Catalin

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:24 am

You're always welcome!

We're glad you got this working.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

mack

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:39 pm

After struggling all day, I have found this issue which is similar to mine although I have repackaged different software. I have tried to repack Firefox to see if I'm getting the same issue, Using below suggestion the software has worked when I open from desktop icon, but when I try to open any saved html page on my computer,Firefox start again installing. I have also tried to drag the file and drop on browser this works.

Daniel

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:14 pm

Hello,

The self-repair mechanism is also triggered by the "File Associations" feature of Windows Installer. Could you please proceed like this:

1. open your setup project and go to "File Associations" page and check if there is any .html extension defined for the browser you repackaged
2. if so, right click on the file extension and choose "Go to Component" context menu option
3. in "Organization" page create a new feature under the "product" tree node and then using the drag and drop method move the file extension component under the newly created feature; thus the file extension component is the only component of the related feature
4. rebuild the setup project and test again the scenario

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”