InnovRick

MSI larger than 2 GB

We are building a project with your software (12.3.1) which archives files into a single CAB file which is included in the MSI database. So basically, we distribute only one file which is the MSI.

We are on the verge of passing the 2 GB limit for the size of a CAB file and we are looking for a solution which would permit us to continue distributing a single MSI file. We cannot distribute a EXE file or an MSI file with multiple CAB files.

In the 'Builds' pane 'Archive' section, if we choose 'Multiple volumes', the CAB files are external to the MSI. Same thing with 'Advanced CAB layout' even if I select 'Include CAB into the MSI database' in the 'Advanced CAB Layout' pane. When I do this, save the project, close AI then reopen AI and open the project, the option is unselected.

Is there a way to accomplish what we want. Basically, is there a way to include multiple CAB files inside the MSI or by another means have an MSI larger than 2 GB?
Eusebiu

Re: MSI larger than 2 GB

Hi,

I'm afraid that the Operating System does not support CAB files larger than 2GB and thus, no single MSI larger that 2GB can be created. The only options are to place the resources outside the MSI package or to create an EXE setup.

An alternative solution, if you have some very large files, is to download them during the installation using the "File Download" operation.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
InnovRick

So is it impossible to include more than 1 CAB file in a MSI? For example, to include 3 CAB files of 1 GB each in the MSI database therefore allowing to exceed the 2 GB size limit?
Eusebiu

Hi,

Yes, I'm afraid that this is not supported by Windows Installer either.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”