ebo

Copy shortcuts to share

Dear community,

Dealing with something seems to be simple but it's not so simple as expected. I hope to get here the eureka moment...
Please note, still a junior user using AI :-)

The MSI installer we created is to created some folders on the "Windows Volume" and copy some files into these created folders.
This first part is working.

Second part is to copy some files to an Share \\Serverxyz\Userhome\[USERNAME]\Desktop (E:)
Serverxyz = Servername
Userhome = Folder
[USERNAME] = AnyUserName
Desktop = The desktop folder of AnyUserName

I hope with above that my question is clear and hope that some is able to help me out.
Please note, still a junior AI user, try to keep it simple :-)

With Regards,
Ebo
Using Advanced Installer Architect (Licenced)
Catalin

Re: Copy shortcuts to share

Hello Ebo,

From what I have understood from your scenario, you want to copy some files to a "custom" folder, which has the following path:

E:\Serverxyz\Userhome\Username\Desktop

To achieve those said above, you can proceed as it follows:

- Please go to "Install Parameters" page, click on the "New Property" button from the toolbar and create a property as it follows:

Name: SHARE_PATH
Value: E:\Serverxyz\Userhome\Username\Desktop

- Now please go to "Files and Folders" page. under "Target Computer", right click --> "New Folder" --> "Property Based" and select the earlier created property.

- Now click on the earlier created folder and, on the right half of the screen (where the "Name", "Size", etc. columns are), right click --> "New File Operation" --> "File Duplication" --> select the file that you want copied --> click "Ok" --> then click "Ok" once more.

Quick note: This approach is best used when you want to duplicate files that are inside your package. If you want to copy/move files from outside the package, we will need to use another file operation, that being "File copy/move" operation. If this is your case, just let me know and I will try to explain how that can be achieved.

Now, since you are new to Advanced Installer, please let me try to explain the terms used above:

- Properties - Properties are global variables used by Windows Installer during an installation. Their values can be set by the operating environment or by authoring them into the installation database. The properties are replaced at install time with the value associated with their name. For example, in our case, at install time, the [SHARE_PATH] property will be replaced by the "E:\Serverxyz\Userhome\Username\Desktop" value.

- Folders (from the "Files and Folders" page) - The Windows Installer Folders are a subset of Windows Installer Properties. They cover folders like the Windows folder, Program Files, Temp, etc.. These folders are very useful when you want to specify paths on the target computer. For instance, a regular path such as "C:\Program Files" doesn't make much sense as the "Program Files" folder may be located on other drives.

Hopefully the above information will make the process much easier to understand.

Please let me know if there is anything else I could help you with.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”