aweber

"Limit to basic user interface"

Is there an install-variable set to indicate whether the "Limit to basic user interface" (semi-silent install) is what is executing?

I would like to conditionally show a Message Box (Custom Action) only if that is what is happening.

FWIW: I thought with this option, the user would at least be prompted with a final "Installation Successful" before the installer exits, but we didn't see anything in our tests.
aweber

Re: "Limit to basic user interface"

Perfect.
:D
Catalin

Hello Aaron,

Yes, that is possible through the "UILevel" property, which can be set to one of the following values:

-2 --> Completely silent installation.

-3 --> Simple progress and error handling.

-5 --> Authored UI with wizards, progress, errors.

So, you should condition the UILevel property to have the value 3 (basic-UI).

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
aweber

This is great (IDK why my previous reply went before your response?).

However, I still do not see the Action Text displayed anywhere while the installation proceeds (in UILevel = 3).

I also added an explicit Message Box at the finish, and that never displayed before the installer finished?
Catalin

Hello Aaron,
However, I still do not see the Action Text displayed anywhere while the installation proceeds (in UILevel = 3).
I am not sure what you mean by that. Could you please give me some more details (maybe exemplify)?
I also added an explicit Message Box at the finish, and that never displayed before the installer finished?
To do this, simply add a "MessageBox" custom action with sequence. To add a custom action with sequence, simply press the "Add custom action with sequence" button which is placed on the right side of the custom action's name. After doing so, drag and drop the custom action before the "Finish Execution" action group in the "Install Execution Stage" and under the "Execution Stage Condition", use a condition as it follows:

Code: Select all

UILevel = "3"
Also, do you have the "Limit to basic user interface (simple progress and error handling)" option enabled from the "Install Parameters" page --> under "Installation Options"?

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
aweber

RE: Action Text...
In my Net Installer Action (for example), which is in the Installation Sequence after "Add Resources", Execution Time = Deferred, I set "Action Text" in the Execution Options ("Edit Action Properties Dialog"). I expected this to show in the Progress Dialog as mentioned in the AI Help info, but we only see the "Estimated Time Remaining" dialog throughout the install. No progress info.

RE: Custom Message Box...
I did add one, but I added it AFTER the Finish Execution group. I will move it before that, but not sure why it would not work in either location?

YES, I have the Limit to basic... option selected.
** Is there a way to default to "Normal dialog mode", but choose UILevel = 3 launching from a command-line (to test both)? Or vice versa? Can the "requested UI Level" be overridden at launch of the MSI somehow?
Catalin

Hello Aaron,
In my Net Installer Action (for example), which is in the Installation Sequence after "Add Resources", Execution Time = Deferred, I set "Action Text" in the Execution Options ("Edit Action Properties Dialog"). I expected this to show in the Progress Dialog as mentioned in the AI Help info, but we only see the "Estimated Time Remaining" dialog throughout the install. No progress info.
Indeed, you are right. The action text is not displayed during a basic-UI installation. This is the default behavior of the Windows Installer engine.
I did add one, but I added it AFTER the Finish Execution group. I will move it before that, but not sure why it would not work in either location?
This should work if you add your "MessageBox" custom action after "Finish Execution" action group as well. Before answering your first thread, I have tested this myself and it worked in both cases.
YES, I have the Limit to basic... option selected.
** Is there a way to default to "Normal dialog mode", but choose UILevel = 3 launching from a command-line (to test both)? Or vice versa? Can the "requested UI Level" be overridden at launch of the MSI somehow?
Yes, it is possible to override the UI Level from command line. Let's say you have the "Limit to basic user interface (simple progress and error handling)" option checked from "Install Parameters" page, but you want to launch your setup with full UI. To do this, please use the following command line:

Code: Select all

msiexec /i "YourSetup.msi" LIMITUI="" /qf
When that option is checked from the "Install Parameters" page, the LIMITUI property is set to "1" (which restricts the UI Level to basic). With that being said, all we have to do is to set the LIMITUI property to an empty string ("") and then set the UILevel property to full UI (5) by using the /qf argument.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”