jminsa

Updates configuration project imports version number with 4 digits instead of 3

Hi,

I have created an updates configuration project and when I create new updates after selecting the setup exe file which generates the update it is importing automatically the product version, but instead of importing the Product Version of the exe it is importing the File Version which has an extra digit ".0".

Then I have to remember everytime to delete the extra digit or the update will not work automatically.

Is there a way to import the Product Version from the exe file or alternatively fill the File Version with the Product Version without an extra digit?

Thanks for your help
Jose
Attachments
version4digits3.PNG
version4digits3.PNG (29.12 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
version4digits2.PNG
version4digits2.PNG (20.64 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
version4digits1.PNG
version4digits1.PNG (17.97 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
IanB

Re: Updates configuration project imports version number with 4 digits instead of 3

Are you sure this isn't a Windows 'issue' and nothing to do with the installer? I always thought Windows does this automatically. I know for sure that when I build an application where the compiler doesn't allow a 4 digit version code (for example VB6 which only provides 3), I create the exe and look at it using Windows "Properties", I see a 4 digit version number, nothing else has been involved except the compiler and Windows, the compiler can't do it so it has to be Windows?
jminsa

Re: Updates configuration project imports version number with 4 digits instead of 3

Hi,

If you look at the first image I posted, it is the properties of the exe generated by advanced installer and it has two version numbers:
Product version (three digits)
File version (four digits)

When I import that file to the advanced installer "updater configuration project", imports the 4 digits version number to the project as Product version instead of the three numbers.
It looks to me that it is importing the "File version" instead of the "Product Version", that is the reasong I think it is an advanced installer issue, or a configuration I am missing, but not a windows problem.

Regards
Jose
Daniel

Hello Jose,

I am afraid this is our current implementation and for the moment you cannot change that in any other way than manually editing. I have forwarded your thoughts to our dev team though and maybe such option will be available in the future. Thank you for your suggestion.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
jminsa

Thank you very much, I really hope you implement this in future versions.
Please, keep me posted.

Best regards
Jose
Daniel

You are welcome Jose.

We will update this thread when such improvement will be adopted by us.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”