ken57

Unable to load MSBuild Assemblies during importing Visual Studio Project

Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:51 am

Im having this "Unable to load MSBuild Assemblies" during importing the visual studio project /solution for creating and installer.How can i fix this problem? I cant continue creating the installer because it hang up while importing the project with red progress bar.

Daniel

Re: Unable to load MSBuild Assemblies during importing Visual Studio Project

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:29 am

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I cannot say why this happens, but we would like if possible to investigate this. Can you share with us your solution (SLN file) and all the projects it includes (only the project files without their source code)? If so, just send us your files by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Also, in the meantime as a workaround you can manually create from scratch your setup project. Have a look on our "Professional" tutorial for a starting point.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

advanced99

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi,

I have encountered the same problem. It's working as intended on my laptop, but not on my desktop.
What could be the problem?

FYI, I have tried doing a repair install of AI, tested it on very simple VS projects and changing the target framework to no avail.

John

Daniel

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:11 am

Hello John and welcome to our forums,

Can you please let us know if this error occurs during the MSI installation process or during your application runtime after installation?

Also, could you share with us your setup project (.aip file) and its built MSI setup package so we can fully test this on our side? If so, please send us a download link by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com.

If you cannot share with us your project file, then you can try to isolate the behavior in a buildable sample (.aip + its referenced files) which we can build and test on our side.

All the best,
Daniel

advanced99

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:48 am

Hi Daniel,

The error occurs at the project creation stage in the Advanced Installer (see attached screenshot). Everything works fine from my other computer, so this seems to be a glitch between Advanced Installer and VS2017 on the computer in question. As already mentioned, I have tried a repair installation to no avail.

Best Regards,
John
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (53.87KiB)Viewed 9204 times

Daniel

Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:31 pm

Hello John,

I really cannot say why this happens. To investigate this further we would need yor VS solution or a sample which replicates the behavior.

So, could you share with us your setup project (.aip file) and its built MSI setup package so we can fully test this on our side? If so, please send us a download link by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com.

If you cannot share with us your project file, then you can try to isolate the behavior in a buildable sample (.aip + its referenced files) which we can build and test on our side.

All the best,
Daniel

advanced99

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:14 pm

Thanks for replying Daniel,

As I mentioned in my previous email, the VS solutions fail to work on the computer in question, but works as intended on my other computer. I have even tried using very simple VS solutions without any bell and whistles to no avail. It used to work on both computers about 7-8 months ago. You guys need to investigate what condition(s) would trigger such error in your own software in my opinion...

Also, how am I supposed to send you a .aip file, when the error occurs at the project creation stage? It obviously never gets created. I don't see any point of sending you .aip files created on the other computer, where everything seem to work like a charm...

Btw, I'm still using version 15.4.1. I'm going to hold off any upgrades until this gets resolved.

John

Daniel

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Hello John,

Please give me some time to debate with our development team this issue and see if there is anything we can do to troubleshoot this further on your machine.

In the meantime, if you could send us any sample VS solution (SLN and its included project files) which replicates the issue on your machine we can try to run several tests using it on our side too. Maybe we manage to isolate something useful from such a sample solution. Also, please feel free to share with us any further details you may consider relevant to this use case.

Thank you for your patience on this.

All the best,
Daniel

advanced99

Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi Daniel,

Again, it's not like some VS projects work, and some don't. The error is triggered on all of them.

These are all VS2017 projects. However, I also have a preview version of VS2019 that I recently installed on this machine. Any chance this could somehow be interfering?

advanced99

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi Daniel,

I went ahead and removed the preview of VS2019 from my machine, and voila it started working again..!!

Would probably be a good idea to inform your customers that having two different versions of VS installed on the same machine may "corrupt" AI... ;)

John

Daniel

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:25 pm

Hello John,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Indeed it seems our application fails to import a SLN when VS 2017 and VS 2019 are installed side by side.

We will try to add a fix for this issue in a future version of Advanced Installer, thank you for helping us to isolate this. As soon as a fix is out we will update this thread.

All the best,
Daniel

Daniel

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Also, if you are interested into an early RC for this fix just send us a quick email to support at advancedinstaller dot com.

All the best,
Daniel

robertjla

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:24 am

Hi Daniel,

Because we work with numerous projects authored by other .NET development teams outside our company, we have to have multiple versions of Visual Studio installed on our workstations since we cannot dictate the version of Visual Studio. Therefore, has this yet been resolved? If not, when do you anticipate a patch or newer version to be available that addresses this issue? Is there perhaps a work around other than using a workstation that only has one version of Visual Studio installed?

Thanks,
Robert

Catalin

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:05 pm

Hello Robert and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

This has already been fixed and will be available starting with the 15.8 version of Advanced Installer which is scheduled for release in the upcoming days.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”