mathiaso

updater.exe /silent not work

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Hi,

We have been using /checknow to update for a while, but we now need a silent update. When we test the updater.exe /silent nothings happens. No msiexec logs. Updater.exe /checknow from same location works fine.

Any ideas?

Catalin

Re: updater.exe /silent not work

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Hello,

By using the "/silent" argument, the Updater searches silently for updates at the interval specified in the "Updater" page - "Update check frequency" field . If the check frequency has passed and updates are found, the Updater will be launched with full UI and display them to the user. Otherwise, it will exit immediately.

You may encounter this behavior if, for example, the last check for updates was done yesterday and your update check frequency is set for 2 days. With that being said, the 2 days did not pass, resulting in the check frequency failing, further resulting in the updater exiting immediately.

In this case, you can set the "Update check frequency" to 0 days, or simply using the following command line:

Code: Select all

updater.exe /silentall -nofreqcheck
If the "-nofreqcheck" argument is passed, the frequency check is skipped. However, it can only be used with the /silentall and /silentcritical command line options.

Also, if the "/silentall" argument is passed, the Updater will search silently for updates and automatically install all updates.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

alphaPlus

Thu May 16, 2019 3:31 pm

It still does not work as far as I can tell. Nothing happens

Please see this video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qtxg3qf3whkea ... 8.mp4?dl=0

Catalin

Tue May 21, 2019 10:03 am

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

From what I saw in the video, you are indeed having the CheckFrequency = 0. However, I saw that you are using the "/silent" parameter. Please keep in mind that "-nofreqcheck" parameter means frequency check is skipped (the same behavior as having CheckFrequency=0). However, it can be used with the /silentall and /silentcritical command line options.

WIth that being said, could you please try using, for example, the "/silentall" parameter instead of "/silent" parameter?

Also, please keep in mind that when using "/silentall" parameter, the Updater will search silently for updates and automatically install all updates; this has the same effect as the /silent option if the user has selected the "Check and automatically install all updates" option in the configuration dialog. If the check frequency has not passed or there are no updates available, the Updater will exit immediately.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin

alphaPlus

Tue May 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I can't use /silentall, I still need for the user to confirm whether they want to install the update, if one is available.

If there is not an update available no UI should be shown.

/silent seems to work with CheckFrequency=0 if you hadn't previously ran it where CheckFrequency= >0

Catalin

Thu May 30, 2019 8:55 am

Hello,

Thank you for your followup on this and for sharing your solution with us. I am sure this will be helpful for other users facing a similar scenario.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”