jeanny

Silent Prerequisite for Octopus Deploy Tentacle MSI

Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:07 am

We are evaluating Advanced Installer and running into issue silently installing a prerequisite for Octopus Deploy Tentacle (single MSI from URL).
Leaving the Install Command Lines empty triggers the installation but with full UI. As per documentation I added command lines with no luck. Tried both /qn and /quiet. Installation is never triggered.

Running prerequisite MSI manually runs as expected from command prompt using the following

Code: Select all

msiexec /i Octopus.Tentacle.msi /quiet
I've attached sample aip project for reference.
Attachments
Prerequisite Test.aip
(40.31KiB)Downloaded 296 times

korr

Re: Silent Prerequisite for Octopus Deploy Tentacle MSI

Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:48 pm

The Octopus Tentacle MSI is expecting "/quiet" (not "/qn", for what its worth)for its silent install commandline option. (Which worked for our team installing as a framework)

jeanny

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:21 pm

Thank you korr. We are aware Octopus Tentacle MSI is expecting "/quiet", we tried /qn since /quiet did not work.
Can you elaborate how your team installed Octopus as a framework?

korr

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:03 pm

I believe the framework option is mostly for the sequencing, but in the Prerequisites page there is a "Frameworks" option. Its not present in my 12.4.2 installation, but it is there for 13.4 (and presumably onward from there).

Inn the Setup Files tab, under the Install Command Lines section we have the /quiet command line in each of the 3 options (Full/Basic/Silent) alongside a switch to do logging.

We don't have anything else special listed/marked for our Tentacle install wrapping. (we are installing version 3.19.1 incase maybe something changed in a newer tentacle MSI)

jeanny

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:30 pm

We are running AI 15.7 and don't see Framework option in Prerequisite page for any installer project (Simple/Professional/Java/Enterprise/Architect). The avaialbe prerequisite options are
-Packages
--Pre-Install
--Feature-based
--Chained
--Post-install
-Windows Features
-Windows Server Roles (available in Enterprise/Architect only)

Our goal is to install prerequisite from URL therefore we are not using a specific version of Octopus Tentacle MSI. Instead we are setting up to download latest from https://octopus.com/downloads/latest/Wi ... usTentacle

jeanny

Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:24 pm

I've narrowed this down and issue occurs with sample MSI from disk as well. With empty command lines the prerequisite installation works as expected with full UI. When specifying /silent for all 3 options (Full UI, Basic UI, Silent (no UI) the error "mandatory prerequisite was not correctly installed" is encountered.
To demonstrate the issue, I've attached two sample aip projects:

Main Product.aip
-Main installer that has as a prerequisite in the Pre-install sequence "Prerequisite MSI".

Prerequisite MSI.aip
-Sample MSI that simply installs txt file. Can be installed silently using command

Code: Select all

msiexec /i "C:\Users\jeanny.TRIALWORKS\Documents\Advanced Installer\Projects\Prerequisite MSI\Se
tup Files\Prerequisite MSI.msi" /quiet
Attachments
Main Product.aip
(20.34KiB)Downloaded 265 times
Prerequisite MSI.aip
(12.55KiB)Downloaded 274 times

korr

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:55 pm

The 13.4 "framework" gets translated to "pre-install" when opening in 15.7
I tested your Pre-requisite and Main AIP files you provided and didnt have any issues installing them, using as-is I got the bootstrapper pre-requisite page and showed It was going to install the Prerequisite MSI and did... silently

However using your octopus link I did run into the issue you described for prerequisite not being successful. I had the MSI dump its return code (216) but that didnt help much as its a machine-type mismatch and the MSI from that link doesnt tell me that (at the beginning at least).

So next I tried running the Octopus Tentacle with logging (/L!VX on the command line as pre-requisite), and it didnt even generate a log!

Back to the error code before, it made me wonder if the (explicitly labeled 64-bit Octopus MSI) was trying to be ran as a 32-bit process, since the Main Product had a package type of 32bit. No luck there either.

Not sure whats going on with the Octopus Tentacle from URL

jeanny

Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:16 pm

Installing Main Product properly triggers the installation of prerequisite msi however it fails with the following error
PrerequisiteError.PNG
PrerequisiteError.PNG (84.78KiB)Viewed 8411 times
Simply removing the /quiet switch results in installation succeeding but of course with full UI. The issue is installing MSI prerequisite silently regardless of whether is local or url.

FYI, I'm testing this by clicking run from Main Product.aip.

Catalin

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:30 am

Hello Jeanny and welcome to our forums,

First of all, thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

From what I can see, this might be an elevation issue. Please keep in mind that in order to silently install an MSI, you have to run it from an elevated command prompt (which you probably do outside of Advanced Installer, but not from withing your project). With that being said, please go to "Install Parameters" page and enable the "Run as administrator" option from under the "Installation Options" section and let me know if that helps.

@Korr,

Thank you once again for contributing to our forums. It is highly appreciated.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

jeanny

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:06 pm

Enabling "Run as administrator" option from "Install Parameters > Installation Options" section did the trick :D

Catalin

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:28 am

Enabling "Run as administrator" option from "Install Parameters > Installation Options" section did the trick
I am glad you got this working, Jeanny.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”