DHeinzBMGF

Import MSI - Display link

I am trying to re-package my DisplayLink msi and noticed that the Application Folder has a red X

I also get the following message when I run the msi, "The software package appears to have been modified. Installation failed.

Has anyone ever run into this before?
Daniel

Re: Import MSI - Display link

Hello,

When the "Application Folder" directory from "Files and Folders" page of your setup project has a red X overlay icon, then it means that the related folder path will be removed from disk at install time. To check this just right click on it, choose "properties" and go to "Operations" tab. If the remove option is set then the folder will be removed on uninstall.

By default the installation process removes a folder on uninstall only if it was created at install time by the installation process and only if there is no file or subfolder residing in that folder after uninstall.

In what regards the installation error triggered by your repackaged setup I am afraid I am not familiar with. Can you please send us the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

You may encounter such behavior as our Repackager tool is not a foolproof solution. Please keep in mind that our Repackager tool is designed to be used to get a starting point for your new installation package, not to completely reproduce the functionality of other installation packages.

Also, as a side note, please be aware that our Repackager tool captures only the effects of the installation (the changes made on the system). If the original installation package executes custom code (programs, scripts etc.) then only the effect will be captured (registry entries, files and folders etc.). Most of the time, in order to implement in the new setup project the same functionality as the one of the original captured setup, you will have to manually adjust and configure the new setup resources and settings.

So, if after the repackaging operation you did not get a 100% working solution, then the next step for you will be to search for and identify the setup deployment issues and try to manually adjust the setup project configuration (add or remove files, registries, custom actions, etc.). And most of the time to do so you will have to deeply know the functionality of the original setup package and of its deployed resources.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”