burnersk

Authoring setups for preview/beta releases

Using Advanced Installer Professional v15.8, how to I authoring for a preview/beta release setup?

I am using the Semantic Versioning standard for version strings. The following version are in order:
  1. 1.0.0-alpha.1+17 (first alpha of 1.0.0, build 17)
  2. 1.0.0-alpha.2+21 (second alpha of 1.0.0, build 21)
  3. 1.0.0-alpha.3+34 (third alpha of 1.0.0, build 34)
  4. 1.0.0+38 (first stable release of 1.0.0, build 38)
How to do the authoring with AI to make MSI packages to update previous preview releases without updating later preview release or even worse later stable releases with the same version number "1.0.0"?

Should I use different product IDs for preview and stable releases and force stable releases to uninstall preview releases? If this is possible, how to do so?
Catalin

Re: Authoring setups for preview/beta releases

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,
Should I use different product IDs for preview and stable releases and force stable releases to uninstall preview releases? If this is possible, how to do so?
Yes, I think that this is a good approach. The ProductCode property is a unique GUID used to identify your application. This identifier varies from version to version of the same installer.

The ProductCode can be changed by going to "Product Details" page --> "Product IDs" tab --> double click on the product code --> press the "Generate" button.

Also, for more information about ProductCode and UpgradeCode properties, please have a look on the "Product Identification (ProductCode and UpgradeCode)" article which I think you may find useful.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”