andyw.dev

Files and folders question

Hi folks,
I have a visual studio 2019 Solution that contains half a dozen class library projects and two Managed Windows Service (executable) projects.

I was using the Visual Studio Installer Project but am unable to get this to work in VS2019, so I need to re-create the installer using Advanced Installer (basic edition).

My issue is that I am unable to re-create the folder hierarchy of the old installer.

What I need to replicate is the following structure:-

program files (x86)/manufacturer/product/ <-- All binaries and project output here.
program files (x86)/manufacturer/product/scripts <-- Script folder from executable project in solution.

What I am getting (when I click add project output - to the application folder)

program files (x86)/manufacturer/product/executable project one
program files (x86)/manufacturer/product/executable project two
program files (x86)/manufacturer/product/executable project two/scripts

Which means the application will not work (and additional post install functionality fails).

Does anyone know how I can change this to get it working properly with the desired folder hierarchy?

Regards
Andy
Catalin

Re: Files and folders question

Hello Andy and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Since this is a custom behavior that you desire, I am afraid I can not tell how this can be achieved until I can have a look on this. With that being said, in order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me a copy of the solution file that you are trying to import in Advanced Installer by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
andyw.dev

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Sorry I can't send commerical files.

What I ended up doing as a work-a-round is to copy the files out of the subfolders into the application folder, then delete all of the subfolders (and duplicate files that were not needed).

Regards
Andy
Catalin

Hello Andy,

Thank you for your followup on this and for sharing your solution with us. I am sure this may be of help for further users facing a similar scenario.

I am glad you got this working.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”