chrisgazpacho

Update just one file in a package

Hello,

I created an installer package and now I need to update just the exe of this package without removing the other files. How would I do this? It does need to show in add remove programs that it has updated to a new version.

Thanks
Chris
Asgard

Re: Update just one file in a package

I have the same problem
belsonmarble

Why not just rebuild the same installer with the updated file? Or consider using the Updater?
Catalin

Hello Chris and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,
I created an installer package and now I need to update just the exe of this package without removing the other files. How would I do this? It does need to show in add remove programs that it has updated to a new version.
A major upgrade is basically a two steps process:

- the removal of the older version

- the installation of the newer version

I am afraid that it is not possible to update only one file (e.g. your EXE) through a major upgrade. It is also not possible to have the same product version (the version you see in Control Panel) because two products with the same product code can not be installed on the same machine. If you try to install two products having the same product code on the same machine, you will be prompted with the following error (which is thrown by the Windows Installer service):

Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Programs and Features in the Control Panel.

However, I think that you can maybe achieve this through a patch. Patches are usually much smaller than upgrades, as they only contain the diffs between the two versions of the product. However, they can only be installed on computers that have the previous version already installed.

For more information about this, please have a look on the following articles which I think you may find useful:

1. Creating patches

2. Authoring a Windows Installer patch

@Asgard,

Please have a look above where I have explained a possible solution to your problem.

@Belson,

By just rebuilding the same installer with the updated file, without changing the ProductCode of the package will result in the following error:

Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Programs and Features in the Control Panel.

because two packages with the same ProductCode can not be installed on the same machine.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catain
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”