blackpanda

Service auto start when installing a new version of product

I am building my installer comes with some services. There's 1 service which I didn't setup to start at install time, otherwise I created a custom action to start it when the installation finished at ExitDialog. I also setup my installer to auto uninstall the older version before installing the new version. The problem is: once the uninstalling process operated, they stopped all services then removed them from the computer. After that it installed new services and AUTO START them ALL. This was not following my scenario. Thus, when I clicked Finish button at ExitDialog, the service which I mentioned above started the second time and it might worked incorrectly.
Could you please tell me how to fix this? Thank you!
Catalin

Re: Service auto start when installing a new version of product

Hello,

This is indeed a strange behavior. Could you please tell me which version of Advanced Installer you are using?

I have tested this using Advanced Installer 16.0 and everything worked as expected - the service did not automatically start during the upgrade process until I have pressed the finish button.

In the "Services" page, did you uncheck the "Start" option "On Install' from the "Control Operations"?

If this is not the case, could you please give me some more details? If you could replicate this in a sample project and forward it to me either here or by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com, that would highly help me in further investigating this.

Also, I doubt that trying to start a service for a second time may affect how the service operates.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
blackpanda

I am using Advanced Installer 16.0, the latest one I think.
My setup comes with 6 services, 5 set Start at Control Operations page, 1 set no actions On Install. All set Stop and Delete for Uninstall. All set Delayed Start at Configure Operations page
At ExitDialog I added a checkbox called Launch, if user ticked this box, and clicked Finish, this would start that service above. The Finish button was already added a builtin custom action StartService to do that.

My situation at follow:
I was running my application for example version 1.0 with all 6 services running. Then I tried to execute the installer 1.1. This will first uninstall 1.0 and install 1.1. I went through some dialogs and one looked like the picture below.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (11.25 KiB) Viewed 3429 times
I think this is why all services will be started automatically
blackpanda

Could you please take a look my problem?
Thank you
Catalin

Hello,

Could you please try to run the second setup as administrator and let me know if that helps?

- if the setup is an EXE -> simply right click on it and select "Run as administrator"
- if the setup is an MSI -> please open an elevated CMD prompt and then execute the following:

msiexec /i <path_to_MSI>

If that does not help, please forward me at support at advancedinstaller dot com the following resources:

- the older version .AIP file
- the newer version .AIP file
- a download link for the older version
- a download link for the newer version

so I can further investigate & test this on our side?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”