psimard

Updater with dropbox

I'm looking at integrating the updater option into an installer we have put together. I specifically am looking at using dropbox as the update file location. I am following the youtube video showing how to use dropbox is this way. The video is confusion and jumps around without detailing the steps in a order that is understandable. They have a part that shows the update file location on dropbox - but so not show any file used for checking. Not sure if it is not needed -- or they just quickly ran through the step thinking you will understand. I have attempted to put together an initla update file - that has nothing as it is the initial version. When I run the updater I get:
Checking for updates - invalid or missing updates configuration file. The first line in the ini file should be ;aiu ....

I checked and validated the file has this entry on the first line. Was not sure what was causing this so I put together another version that used a specific VM that is exposed to the internet. The file is retrievable and the check identifies the there are no updates. So it looks like the dropbox access is not working. I am using the open access url from dropbox - and checked that it is valid and is not blocked. Can someone clarify how to get dropbox to work with the updater?

Peter
psimard

Re: Updater with dropbox

found that the URL supplied by dropbox needs to be adjusted with the supplied dl=0 changed to dl=1 - I'll assume this is to trigger an auto download from dropbox. This was shown in the AI video - but went quickly and didn't detail this was necessary so is easy to miss
Eusebiu

Re: Updater with dropbox

Hi,

I'm glad you solved this. Indeed, in order for the updates to work, you need to use a direct URL to the file that should be downloaded. In case of Dropbox, setting "dl=1" at the end of the URL will directly download the file.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”