psimard

Patch Project Fails to Install

I have a patch project that I had built. The previous installer is an exe version - and I have gone through the process of extracting the MSI from the EXE file. I have built a new installer targeting MSI. When I build a patch - I use the new installer as the target and the original as the update (from the AI patch video). The patch is created ok but when I go to run the installer it is indicating that the previous MSI is not available (the one that I had generated from the EXE). Not clear why it is asking for this installer -- I had included it in the patch project and thought it would prepare the patch installer correctly. Is there something I am missing?
psimard

Re: Patch Project Fails to Install

To clarify there is a dialog shown that is indicating the following:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

It is attempting to retrieve the previous installer which is accessible and was installed via an update operation.
Catalin

Hello Peter,

A patch can be run only against its target MSI file. So, if the target MSI doesn't exist on target machine (or isn't cached) when running the patch you will be prompted to supply the MSI file. Applying a patch means that you actually run the original MSI in a special maintenance mode, so it is mandatory that you have the old MSI cached or supplied when asked for.

Since you have said that your main package is an EXE package, could you please go to "Builds" page --> "Configuration" tab -->
"Bootstrapper Options" and enable the "Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files"?

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
psimard

I modified the previous build to not delete the MSI after install. It worked and can get past the MSI lookup. But now the application fails because it is indicating it is looking for a CAB file. Not sure why it is looking for that. Wouldn't the extracted MSI have everything needed?
psimard

explicitly the error returned is:
Could not locate cabinet in stream: disk1.cab
psimard

I performed the example done in the patch video on youtube - and got the same results?
Catalin

Hello Peter,

This is strange.

This most probably happens due to a patch rule that was not respected.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me the following:

- a download link for the old (older version) setup

- a download link for the new (newer version) setup

- a download link for the patch (.MSP file)

- the .AIP file used to build the older version

- the .AIP file used to build the newer version

- the .AIP file used to create the patch

- the log created when the patch was built

by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Best regards,
Catalin
psimard

I performed a test using the AI patch video as a baseline. What I had done was:

create a simple AI project including one file (set MSI name to TEST version 1.0.0)
this project is configured to produce a EXE installer
created another simple AI project build from first including another file (2 total) (set MSI name to TEST version 1.0.1)
built first project
performed a EXE /extract on first project EXE
built second project (making sure to not update product code)
created an AI patch project
set the second simple test as the upgraded installer
set the first simple test as the target installer - using the extracted MSI from the first simple test EXE
built AI patch

When I perform an install of the first simple project then an install of the patch it fails. The log reports the following:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error 1706. An installation package for the product Test Patch cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'KVEST.msi'.
MSI (s) (5C:64) [02:40:30:200]: Product: Test Patch -- Error 1706. An installation package for the product Test Patch cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'KVEST.msi'.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears that a patch cannot be generated from a AI project that is configured as a EXE installer. The AI documentation appears to indicate this should be allowed. While this is not the same error I was getting on my installers the result is the same.

Peter
psimard

Note: I performed a test using straight MSI installer projects and patching does work
psimard

redid the test and when installing the patch - it indicated it was looking for the MSI - I explicitly selected the MSI - and this time got the cab not in stream error - so was able to repo thew issue.
Catalin

Hello Peter,

First of all, thank you for the provided files.

I was indeed able to reproduce the issue on my end.

One thing that I noticed while investigating the sent .AIP files consists of the fact that the hierarchy in the "Organization" page of your both projects is different. Please keep in mind that hierarchy of the Features and Components should not be reorganized.

The difference in the both .AIP files is the following: for the higher version, you have built a .MSI file instead of an .EXE package (as you have built for your previous version). With that being said, could you please rebuild the project, this time building an EXE and let me know if that helps? Also, in the second built EXE, please do not forget to have the "Do not delete MSI and CAB files" option also checked.

If that is of no help, please forward me the following:

- the new .AIP for the second version of your product (the higher version)
- the EXE resulted when building your patch project
- the patch project (.AIP file)

by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin
psimard

After reviewing different strategies and scenarios I have found that doing a patch based off an EXE installer with archive into a CAB does not work. The patch cannot find the CAB file. A solution that did work is to use LZMA archiving. Everything is kept within the MSI and patching will work with this type of archiving.

Peter
Catalin

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your followup on this.

I am glad you got this working.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”