Jackman

Installer completes but doent work

I wish to produce a Setup.Exe for a Visual Basic App under Visual Studio. The Installer completes and notifies it was successful. If the installed App is launched, there are Unhandled exception has occurred Filename.txt is denied.

If I navigate to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Application Folder and launch the Application.exe file, I get the same errors. If I copy all of the files from this folder onto a USB Drive and launch the Application.exe file from this drive, everything works. If I run the application.exe file from the \Debug or \Release folders everything works there also.

Obviously, the Installer has done something that prevents the files from being seen. All of the files and the Application.exe file are in the same folder so there are no path issues.

Need help here, thanks in advance
Eusebiu

Re: Installer completes but doent work

Hi and welcome to our forums.

Please keep in mind that "Program Files" is a folder with restricted access and a user or application needs administrator rights in order to modify its content. If your application does not run with administrator privileges, it will not be able to modify any file from the application folder.

To overcome this you can either set your application to run as administrator or set some permissions for the application folder or the files that your application tries to modify, so it will be allowed to modify them.

If you have other questions, just let me know.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”