j33pfan

Multiple personal installations with shared files fails

We have an application that allows the user to either install it for all users on the computer, or only for themselves. Both work fine, except when two separate accounts attempt a personal installation. In that case, we get an "Error writing to file" for all files in a common folder (basically HTML help files, and some scripts that we would like to share between all user installations). We have tried a number of things, with the one I most expected to work being setting the permissions for the folders and files to "Full Control" for all users. However, as you can see in the screenshot, we still get the error.
Error.png
Error.png (103.74 KiB) Viewed 12463 times
I have also attached the verbose installation log for the second installation.

If the second user runs the installer with Admin permissions, it succeeds. But, that kind-of defeats the purpose.

Thanks for any assistance or direction anyone can provide.

Todd
Attachments
install.zip
Had to compress, as original was too large to upload
(80.32 KiB) Downloaded 734 times
Catalin

Re: Multiple personal installations with shared files fails

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

First of all, please accept my apologies for the delayed reply.

In what regards your issue, please keep in mind that the ProgramData folder is shared between all the users from one PC.

With that being said, when you try to perform another installation, the second installation will try to overwrite the files installed by the first installation, because the folder is shared. This is the reason why, upon providing administrative privileges, the installation succeeds (the files will be overwritten).

As a workaround, you could place your files in a folder that is not shared between all users, for instance, the AppData folder. This way, the setup will not try to overwrite the files, therefore the installation should succeed.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
j33pfan

Thanks for your response. The idea is to share installed files across user installations, while keeping those files updated with the latest install. I understand this is likely not an issue with the way Advanced Installer works. It is likely a Windows Installer and/or OS issue. But, I was hoping someone may have tried this at some point and found a way around the issue.

Thanks
Catalin

Hello,
Thanks for your response.
You are always welcome.
The idea is to share installed files across user installations, while keeping those files updated with the latest install. I understand this is likely not an issue with the way Advanced Installer works. It is likely a Windows Installer and/or OS issue. But, I was hoping someone may have tried this at some point and found a way around the issue.
Indeed, as you could notice, this is not related to Advanced Installer. This is just how the Operating System works. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any workaround which can avoid this issue.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will be glad to assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”