maneugeant

Custom help message for bootstrapper /? /help in command line

We are using the exe bootstrapper as described here:
https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... -file.html
Some of our users want to disable auto updates, and search for a way to do so by finding the advanced installer command line help, which suggests using /exenoupdates. The setting that actually works is NSTALL_UPDATER="NONE" as it is forwarded to msiexec.

Is there a way for our installer to customize the command line help message to suggest the correct option to users instead of the misleading one?
Eusebiu

Re: Custom help message for bootstrapper /? /help in command line

Hi and welcome to our forums.

The /exenoupdates command is related to the "Check for updates before installation" option from the "Updater" page. I'm afraid that the Bootstrapper help cannot be customized.

However, you can use a checkbox on one of your dialogs and explicitly let the user choose if the Updater will be installed or not.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
maneugeant

Is there a suggested workaround to make the help page less misleading? Is it possible for us to somehow forward the state of /exenoupdates through to msiexec or otherwise query it during installation such that it has the same behavior as our custom INSTALL_UPDATOR="NONE" value that currently controls our update behavior?

Our experience in the UI is the way we like it, the concern is for users that are only interested in a command line solution and discover this, then complain that our app still uses the update service even though they specified /exenoupdates, which of course does not have the intended effect.
Eusebiu

Hi,

Unfortunately, we do not have any workaround for this. That command cannot be overwritten neither its result captured to be used later in the MSI package.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
dsai

Hi
The last Reply to This Post is from 2012 so i was Wondering if it is still Impossible to Edit the /help /? Message??

We disabled the execution of the MSI-Package without bootstrapper and we want to remove the "<msioptions> Option from the Commandline-Help.

Could you please tell me how to Remove this Line from the Commandline-Help?
I Mean its more then Ten Years since this Topic was Created, there must be a Possibility to do so nowadays, mustn`t it?

Best Regards,
dsai
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (9.54 KiB) Viewed 5949 times
Catalin

Hello dsai and welcome to our forums,

I'm afraid the answer to that is still "no".

Although you have chosen to build an EXE setup package, please note that this is still a bootstrapper over the original MSI file.

Behind the scenes, our EXE bootstrapper will launch the MSI so it is still possible to pass MSI command lines. An example of this would be:

Code: Select all

setup.exe /exenoui /qn
The "/exenoui" tells the bootstrapper exe to display no UI, while the "/qn" tells the MSI to be installed silently. All-in-all, the "/qn" is an MSI default option/parameter.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”