Oliver Paals

Prerequisite won't install under Windows 10 / UAC

Hello,
I read several posts in the forum about the UAC topic, but none of the suggested solutions worked for me.
I'm trying to install under Windows 10 (32 bit and 64 bit).

What I´m trying to do is:
  • Installing PostgreSQL as a prerequisite with the setup coming from EDB named "postgresql-10.11-1-windows.exe"
  • Configure PostgreSQL database using a second prerequisite MSI made with Advanced Installer.
The installation with UI is working. Before installing PostgreSQL setup I have to confirm that it should be installed with admin privileges (UAC).
In silent mode, the installtion finishes with the main application (my program) installed and PostgreSQL not installed.
Sometimes I get an error message "Error running icacls".

I tried out to include a MessageBox as Custom Action in the second prerequisite. This MessageBox is never shown, meaning that the second prerequisite is never executed.

I'm starting the setup from an elevated cmd box with admin privileges.
Execution level settings in AI setup are "Highest Available". I also tried "Require Administrator" but also without success.

I have no more ideas how to tell UAC to install the prerequisite.

Can you please help me?

Best regards
Oliver Paals
Catalin

Re: Prerequisite won't install under Windows 10 / UAC

Hello Oliver,

Unfortunately, I can not say for sure why this happens.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me the following resources:

- a copy of the main .AIP file

- a copy of the .AIP file that you use to create the second prerequisite (I am guessing that is a simple bootstrapper over a custom action that does the configuration of the PostgreSQL)

- a download link of the setup

by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”