zappbrannigan

APPDIR

Hi helpers,
I'm new at AI install building so sorry if its too simple a question.
Just wondering the best practice for how to manage the add folder browse opption for my applications destination.
  • I dragged folders from APPDIR to the location I want the install to go to
    And the main folder is PagesNetwork_Dir property for my main folder for installs
    I added the built in dialog so users can change the default directory (name TargetDir)
    I updated the install parameters > application directory to use variables (I think this is incorrect as well for me) However I need it to use the users selected (or default folder if no custom folder is selected).
Considering the Install Parameters allows for a varaible I was hoping to set this to whatever the user selects (right now I get a duplicate directory what the user selects and my default.

If someone could go over a step by step of the easiest way possible just to get:
1. the user selected folder to be where I want it to default (TargetDir) and show in the dialog
2. no duplicate folder so the user selected folder overrides the workstation_dir instead of duplicates

I was hoping I could just type in a default value into the folder appdir property and have it show up but I can't edit this field's value directly (not sure why).
I was also hoping I could just switch all folder references to be folderedit value (default used if nothing selected, or custom path if user selects.)

I need kind of step by step sorry as I'm newbie.

Thanks in advance!
Zapp
Attachments
aiinstalparams.png
aiinstalparams.png (12.67 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
isdefaultfolder.png
isdefaultfolder.png (42.09 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
Catalin

Re: APPDIR

Hello Zapp,

I am not quite sure I understand what you want to achieve here.

Do you want to let your user browse for a folder during the install process? If that is the case, please have a look over our "How to browse for a folder at install time" article which I think you may find useful.

If that is not what you are looking for, please give me some more details about what you want to achieve so I can further assist you.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
zappbrannigan

I have looked at that page previously but didn't think it was exactly what I was looking for maybe the description is misleading (have user select a second folder in addition to the appdir).
I want the user to select the only folder where the files go, and to have the default I prefer show up in the dialog before they click in case they don't want to switch the folder. I've been having challenges when I try to set this up. install parameters also doesn't adjust to the user selected folder for all files to go to.
Any pointers welcome.
Catalin

Hello Zapp,

Unfortunately, I am not quite sure I understand your scenario here.

Could you please give me some more details (maybe exemplify) about what you want to achieve so I can further assist?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”