Labarr

Need help understanding how to ship updates

Hello!

I successfully built an installer for my program in appdir\1.1.0

However I have since made updates to my program and I am not on 1.1.1. How would I go about building a new installer?

Do I need to delete my appdir\1.1.0 build folder? or can I somehow "preserve" that folder and create a new folder along side it with 1.1.1? (appdir\1.1.1)

I need this installer to be able to upgrade older installs of 1.1.0, so updating all my shortcuts that currently point to appdir>1.1.0>program.exe

Is it best to just delete my appdir\1.1.0 folder? Will the installer know to update all the shortcuts and such?

Does this make sense? Any tips?

Thank you
Catalin

Re: Need help understanding how to ship updates

Hello,

First of all, please accept my apologies for the delayed reply.

By default, a major upgrade consists of two things:

- the removal of the older version

- the install of the newer version

Basically, if version 1.1.0 is installed, when installing version 1.1.1, it will first uninstall version 1.1.0 and then install version 1.1.1.

You can read more about major upgrades in our "Windows Installer Upgrades" article.

Now, in what regards the additional version folder, could you please give me some more details about how you have created that? Is it created manually - e.g. under the Application Folder you have created a folder named 1.1.0?

What I would advise here is the usage of the "ProductVersion" property. For instance, if you want to create an additional folder containing the version, you could create it as it follows:

versionFolder.png
versionFolder.png (32.27 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

By doing so, everytime you do an upgrade, the older folder will be deleted and the new folder will be created (in our case, the 1.1.1 folder).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”