ehardin

Update project switching licensed user back to trial mode.

Our product uses the Licensing / Trial.dll feature. We do updates via an update file and not a patch. The update, as far as I understand it, uninstalls the previous version and installs the new version. What we are seeing is that every so often the update will force a licensed user back to trial mode. Is there something that we should be not adding or doing in the update file to avoid this? The update file, as it stands, has all of the same files and features as what would have been the customer's original install file. What would cause a licensed copy to revert back to trial?

Ed
ehardin

Re: Update project switching licensed user back to trial mode.

PS, the project is currently setup with install Parameters -> Installation Type: per-machine if user is administrator, per-user otherwise.

The Licensing -> Trial -> Runtime Key Location -> Location: is per-user.

1) Could the problem be if the original install was done as a Admin per-machine but the license is per-user and then the update is per-machine again?

2) I will test this but, if I change the Licensing from per-user to per-machine, will that knock the current per-user installs/licenses back to Trial?

Ed
Catalin

Re: Update project switching licensed user back to trial mode.

Hello Ed,
The Licensing -> Trial -> Runtime Key Location -> Location: is per-user.

1) Could the problem be if the original install was done as a Admin per-machine but the license is per-user and then the update is per-machine again?
In that section you can specify the registry location where the registration key will be stored after the user have registered the product. This location is read each time the application runs and if it contains a valid registration key then the application continues without any trial message to be displayed.

To be fully honest with you, I do not think this should be affecting anything.

I've done some tests with the sample project provided in the "Integrate licensing feature in VB projects" article and everything worked as expected on my end - after the upgrade, the application was not put back into trial mode.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me the following resources:

- a copy of the .AIP file (both new and old)

- a download link for the older version of your setup

- a download link for the newer version of your setup

- a key which I can use to register your application

by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”