codesynergy

Including Eula Dynamically

Hello,

The problem:
Our licensing agreement is often created after our release build is built. This means we have to rebuild our installer after we receive the new license agreement. It would be nice if we didn’t have to rebuild the installer just for the new license agreement.

I’m wondering if one of the two solutions is possible in Advanced Installer/MSIs:
  • Set the license file to be loaded dynamically from the location of the bootstrapper/MSI. I.e., specify the path as SourceDir\Eula.rtf. This way, when we receive the new Eula.rtf, we can just drop it into the installation folder (next to the MSI file).
  • Make the Eula.rtf file a binary file in the built MSI (make it show up in the “Binary” table of the MSI). I believe this would allow the MSI to be updated with a new EULA via Orca?

Thanks.
Catalin

Re: Including Eula Dynamically

Hello,

To be fully honest with you, I do not think any of these methods would work.
Set the license file to be loaded dynamically from the location of the bootstrapper/MSI. I.e., specify the path as SourceDir\Eula.rtf. This way, when we receive the new Eula.rtf, we can just drop it into the installation folder (next to the MSI file).
It is not possible to dynamically load the EULA file.
Make the Eula.rtf file a binary file in the built MSI (make it show up in the “Binary” table of the MSI). I believe this would allow the MSI to be updated with a new EULA via Orca?
Honestly, this sounded like it may work. However, from my tests, it seems that it is not.

Now, what I think can be done here is some automation. However, this highly depends on your scenario. Let's consider the following:

For instance, let's say that you guys build the project every friday at 3PM and then the EULA comes every friday at 6PM.

Here, we could have a batch file that will execute a file of commands, this file containing the /SetEula command and the /Rebuild command.

This batch file can then be used to create a "Scheduled Task" that will run every friday at 6pm that will do the job for you. Or maybe you could simply keep the batch file to double click on it, so you don't have to do any further manual work.

Hope this helps somehow.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”