Eternal21

Do I need separate updater service for each deployed app?

I am trying to use Advanced Installer to build installers for multiple apps. The problem is the users installing the apps usually don't have admin privileges. The suggested workaround is to use Updater service as described here:
https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... dates.html

My question is regarding the following warning from that article:
> Make sure the service name is unique, and you don’t change it afterward. The service name must match the name of the Updater file.

Let's say I have two applications. App1, and App2. Do I need to deploy two updater services on user's computer (updater-app1.exe, and updater-app2.exe)? Or is there any way I can get a way with only a single service? I wouldn't mind creating a dedicated Updater installer (in addition to App1.msi and App2.msi) if that's what it takes. I could then programmatically invoke the updater.exe from each respective application and control which update gets downloaded via command arguments.

Am I on the right track, or way off here? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Daniel

Re: Do I need separate updater service for each deployed app?

Hi,

We apologize for the delayed reply on this.

If you build a separate setup package for each one of your applications and then all of these setups are added as prerequisites into a unified setup package, then you will have to use a separate Updater for each of your app setup package. And they will be updated independently of the other apps.

Otherwise if you simply add all of your applications files into one single setup project (i.e. adding them in "Files and Folders" page), then you can use a single Updater. The drawback of this approach will be that each time at least one of your applications has a new version, you will have to to rebuild your setup project and deploy the whole setup package (including all the apps resources) as a new update.

If you have any questions or doubts just let us know.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”