garosgu

Setup does not preserve original installation path

Hello,

I am trying to preserve the original installation path when the upgrade takes place but it does not work.

I enabled the checkbox Use original installation path when upgrading. This setting is located in Product information > Upgrades > Application versions

AI version: 16.0

Kind regards.
Catalin

Re: Setup does not preserve original installation path

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I have tested this using version 16.0 of Advanced Installer and everything seems to be working as expected, the path is set to the one used in the previous version.

A scenario that I can think of right now would be the following:

- the first installation has the per-user "Installation Type" ("Install Parameters" page)

- the upgraded installation has the per-machine "Installation Type"

Please note that a per-user installation can not upgrade a per-machine installation and vice-versa (more information about this in our "Install Parameters" article).

Could you please check and let me know if this is the case for you as well?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
garosgu

Hello Catalin,

I have checked the installation type on my AI project and I have per-machine (install parameters page), also I did not change that setting on previous versions. On the other hand, I have multiple instances but I do not know if this configuration can affect to the correct behavior of preserve the custom installation path.

Kind regards.
Catalin

Hello,

This is quite strange, indeed.

I have tested this scenario and everything worked as expected on my end.
InstanceUpgrade.png
InstanceUpgrade.png (47.96 KiB) Viewed 3699 times

As you can see in the above screenshot, the path where the old instance was installed is automatically detected.

Could you please let me know if you are getting the same dialog as above? If so, is the path not automatically detected?

If you do not get the above dialog, please make sure that once you increase the ProductVersion, you also generate a new ProductCode (you should be prompted automatically when changing the view in your project after increasing the ProductVersion - i.e. go from "Product Details" page to "Files and Folders" page)

Best regards,
Catalin
garosgu

Hello,

I can get that dialog, the problem is when AI has to preserve the custom installation path, it does not work.

Can I send you the AIP file via private message?

Kind regards.
Catalin

Hello,

Yes, please do send me:

- a copy of your .AIP file

- a download linke for the setup

- a test-case which I can use to replicate this behavior

by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can further investigate this.

Best regards,
Catalin
garosgu

Hello,

I just have sent the email with all the information you have requested.

Kind regards.
Catalin

Hello Gabriel,

Thank you for the provided files.

I indeed managed to replicate the behavior on my machine using the provided resources.

At a first glance, I'd say that this is happening due to the fact that, between the two versions of your product, you have changed only the fourth field of the ProductVersion property.

Please note that Windows Installer uses only the first three fields of the product version. If you include a fourth field in your product version, the installer ignores the fourth field.

Normally, you should have received an error at install time, because the ProductCode is not automatically generated when only increasing the 4th field. My assumption here is that you have manually generated the ProductCode from the "Product Details" page --> "Product IDs" tab.

With that being said, could you please change any of the first three fields, rebuild your project and let me know if you still encounter this?

Best regards,
Catalin
garosgu

Hello Catalin,

Regarding your last post, I have tested some cases and it seems that the problem is our fourth number version. If I change any of the first three numbers the feature that persists the original path during the upgrade statement works fine.

Kind regards.
Catalin

Hello Gabriel,

Thank you for your followup on this.

I am glad everything works as expected now.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”