sreedevibalachandran

Rollback deleted folders

I have created a setup with version number as 2.0.0.0. We have a few folders which will be added into the installed path. When we click the files and folders menu these folders will be listed. Then I right clicked each folder and clicked the properties menu. Then from the properties window I set the "remove folder" options from operations tab. I have selected the option "Remove even if the folder is not empty" also. i.e. the folder will be removed on uninstalling the main exe component even if it is not empty.

My question is related to rollback.

I installed the 2.0 version. Then I created a new setup which has version number 3.0.0.0 and has new product code too. When we try to install 3.0 advanced installer will uninstall 2.0 automatically. So the folders will be removed too. During the installation of 3.0, if some error happens installer will rollback ,right? If so, will the installer return the deleted folder and its contents? Will I get the 2.0 installation back ?

If not, what should I do to return those folders? Please help ASAP
Catalin

Re: Rollback deleted folders

Hello,

An upgrade installation consists in two parts:

•the uninstall of the old product version
•the installation of the new product version

When the error appears during the upgraded process, the rollback of the upgraded version is triggered. So, any files copied from the upgraded version will be removed from the target machine. However, the previous version will not be restored. It has been already uninstalled and the corresponding files removed.

In this case, you can change the upgrade process' sequence and select the Install new version first and then uninstall old version from the Upgrades Page. In this case, the installer updates files before removing the old applications. Only the files being updated get installed during the installation. If the old application's removal fails, then the installer rolls back both the old application's removal and the new application's install.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”