Mel

How can i prevent an install if already installed ?

Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi,
I have generated an install with a particaular Product Code (guid). I also have set the Product Version being set from a .exe file.
What i am trying to do is every the user tries to install a new exe they will be prevented if it is already installed.

How can i make this happen in Advacned Installer settings ?

Thanks

Catalin

Re: How can i prevent an install if already installed ?

Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:27 pm

Hello,

Please note that this is the default behavior of Windows Installer.

Windows Installer will not allow two installations having the same ProductCode. The following message will be shown to the user:
Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Programs and Features in the Control Panel.
For more information about this, pelase have a look over our "Product Identification" article.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Mel

Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:44 pm

Thats the issue , I do use the same Product Code and i wnat the message to be displayed, but its not.
Is it because i set the Product Version from a file ?

thanks

Catalin

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:17 pm

Hello,

No, it is not because the Product Version is set from a file.

In addition to the ProductCode, please make sure that the UpgradeCode is also the same.

The UpgradeCode is a GUID representing a related set of products. A set of different versions of your application will have the same UpgradeCode. This enables newer versions of your application to search and upgrade previous versions installed on the same computer.

You can find the UpgradeCode within your Advanced Installer project, in "Product Details" page --> "Product IDs" tab.

For more information about ProductCode and UpgradeCode, please have a look over the following article:

Product Identification (ProductCode and UpgradeCode)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”