rmusick

Issue Trying To Stop a Process Before Uninstall

Hi,
I am currently having an issue trying to stop a process before an uninstall takes place.
I created a DetectProcess and a StopProcess action under "CustomActions"
I have marked them both to run under "Uninstall" in stage condition.

For the process name, Do I need to put the .exe for process so it is "DesktopActivator.exe" or do I just leave it as "DesktopActivator"
All of the other settings were set as default.

When I kick off an msiexec.exe /x <GUID> /q the process never stops and the uninstall breaks.
Thanks.
Catalin

Re: Issue Trying To Stop a Process Before Uninstall

Hello,

First of all, since the uninstall is ran silently, please make sure that the custom actions are scheduled under the "Install Execution Stage", since the "Wizard Dialogs Stage" is skipped.
For the process name, Do I need to put the .exe for process so it is "DesktopActivator.exe" or do I just leave it as "DesktopActivator"
Most likely, if you go to "Task Manager" --> "Details" tab, you will notice that the "Name" of the process contains its' extension, therefore the extension should be included ==> "DesktopActivator.exe" is the correct approach.
When I kick off an msiexec.exe /x <GUID> /q the process never stops and the uninstall breaks.
I am not quite sure what you mean by "the uninstall breaks". Could you please give me some more details so I can better understand?

Since the uninstall is done silently, please make sure that the command prompt from which you launch the process is run elevated.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”