ehardin

return for which selection was made in the trial period expires.

Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:59 pm

I have an option in my app that sends me an email with the log file attached whenever the app crashes or when the trial period expires. The user can turn this off but few do.

So I see a user whose 15 trial period has expired. Within minutes he is into the app using it, which I see because eventually it crashes. My suspicion is that his CPU is 1.06GHz and we recommend 2.4GHz or better so maybe something go tripped up or something. Anyway, a few minutes later he is back on and I get the "trial ended" email and then a few minutes later he is back in and I get the crash email.

So I'm wondering how is he getting beyond the trial period ended? What keys is he clicking on? Try, Register, Buy, or Esc or what? Or Enter Extended Trial? Is there a return code for the Trial Try, Register, Buy screen to say which the user clicked on or do I have to just do some key logging?

Ed

Catalin

Re: return for which selection was made in the trial period expires.

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:38 pm

Hello Ed,

Judging by the documentation, the DisplayRegistrationDlg function can return only 3 values, as it follows:

- 0 --> the application is registered

- 2 --> the application is in trial mode

- -1 --> the trial.dll is missing
Or Enter Extended Trial?
We do not have this one documented, indeed. The return code for this would be 1.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”