mnew

VC++ Redistributable always shows and always installs - how to hide?

The Visual C++ 2015-2019 runtime installer ALWAYS shows and always installs, then requires a reboot. This happens even if was already installed. Then, when Advanced Installer re-enters the app setup after the reboot, it displays an empty Prerequisites list that waits for some kind of confirmation.

Why is this happening? I've tried changing settings under the Prerequisites tab but nothing stops this behavior. How do I fix this?
Installer.PNG
Installer.PNG (104.01 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
Catalin

Re: VC++ Redistributable always shows and always installs - how to hide?

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Most likely, this is happening due to your prerequisite's condition(s).

Please note that a prerequisite's condition is evaluated twice:

- before the prerequisite is installed

At this point, the condition should be false => prerequisite will be installed

- after the prerequisite is installed

At this point, the condition should be true => the prerequisite was correctly installed

Did you add the prerequisite to your project from our predefined list of prerequisites?

If so, after the reboot, could you please check the registry entry specified in "Prerequisites" page --> your prerequisite --> "Install Conditions" tab and see if it has the correct value?
InstallCondition.png
InstallCondition.png (119.99 KiB) Viewed 1595 times

Additionally, if you are installing on a 64-bit machine and your setup is of 32-bit type ("Install Parameters" page --> "Package Type"), please make sure the "Use 64-bit locations when evaluating condition on 64-bit machine" is checked, as in the above screenshot.

Now, in what regards the reboot, did you check the "Reboot system after installing this prerequisite" option from "Prerequisites" page --> "Properties" tab? I am asking because I have just tested this and the VC++ Redistributable setup did not ask for a reboot on my test machine.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”