ddag1

Set folder path as a location previously selected

Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:18 pm

Hi!

Let's say I install my app in a certain folder I chose by using "Browse" button (for me to choose a folder I created, not a system folder), is it possible to make my installer "remember" that location and automatically set it there again next time I open it?

Thank you so much!

Catalin

Re: Set folder path as a location previously selected

Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:48 pm

Hello,

Yes, it is possible to achieve that and that is actually the default behavior when upgrading your setup.

Please have a look in "Upgrades" page --> "Use original installation path when upgrading" option.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

ddag1

Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:19 am

Catalin wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:48 pm
Hello,

Yes, it is possible to achieve that and that is actually the default behavior when upgrading your setup.

Please have a look in "Upgrades" page --> "Use original installation path when upgrading" option.

Best regards,
Catalin
Hello,

I found that option and it's actually selected but it's not working the way I need. My installer doesn't need upgrades, it's meant to be re-ran multiple times.
I'll explain it a little more detailed this time, my bad sorry.

The installer (A) I'm developing with AI customizes another app (B) I developed before. It only extract files, it's not an app.
The thing is I need to re-run it multiple times, to choose different options (radio buttons) to be extracted in B.
The problem is, if the person who downloaded B installs it in a random location, it'd be useful for that person that once he ran A and chose the path to extract files in B he could run it again with A remembering where B is.

Is this possible?
Thank you so much in advance!

Catalin

Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:58 pm

Hello,

Yes, this would be possible.

As you can see in the following thread:

Relaunch installer after exit dialog

The path is already saved in the registry.

You can take the value from the registry, save it in a property and then set the APPDIR to the value of the earlier created property through a "Set property" custom action.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”