imxa

Installer that can download latest versions of free programs

Hi all! I need help or a simple guide to achieve this project.

I want to do an installer where you can select a list of free software (Google Chrome, VLC, Steam, etc) and the installer can download the LAST version of that software.

I dont want any local files, only a web based installer which always install lastest versions. But I dont know how achieve that.

I started with some tests, but would be much aprreciate if someone can help me or give me a video as guide to realice this project.

Thanks in advanced

Catalin

Re: Installer that can download latest versions of free programs

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forum,

Indeed, the route you have picked (a web-based prerequisite) is the correct one.

However, please note that the used URL, although you have copied it after you have pressed the "Download" button, it is not a correct/valid link.

After a bit of digging, I have found that the following link works for downloading and installing Google Chrome:

Code: Select all

http://dl.google.com/chrome/install/375.126/chrome_installer.exe
With that being said, please replace your link with the above one. This should download and install Chrome.

If you want to let the user decide which apps he wants installed, you can go to "Dialogs" page and add either the "PrerequisitesDlg" dialog or the "OptionalFeatsDlg" dialog (if all prerequisites will be added as "feature-based" prerequisites).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”