timmangan

17.8 and MSIX Package

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:10 pm

I have a .Net Framework Project in VS and have been using AI to build MSIX package for the Microsoft Store.

Upgrading from 17.7 to 17.8 has broken the software. The issue appears to be in modified behavior in the stub for file redirection.

The project consists only of files in the "Application Folder" and "Application Shortcut Folder" area and there are no files in the package under local appdata.

At runtime the native application without MSIX attempts to open the folder C:\Users\XXXXXX\Local\Temp\WPF shortly after the main initialization routine completes. I believe this is just part of the .Net Framework doing it's thing to bring up the graphics.

The package built using 17.7, using AiStub, the package works, shows this same unaltered request to create the directory in a procmon trace.

When run in the 17.8 Stub, a process monitor trace shows the request as
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\YYYYYY\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp\WPF
Yes, the string in the procmon trace includes the characters "%USERPROFILE%"! This request returns a PATH NOT FOUND, and a search is made backwards until it can open a folder, which would be the package (YYYYY) folder. It then attempts to create the ...\YYYYYY\%USERPROFILE% folder and received an ACCESS DENIED result and the app shuts down.

I have manually edited the manifest and replace the entrypoint exe on the shortcut to skip AIStub and go straight to the application exe and this package works fine. Attaching procmon screen shot showing the issue.
Temp-WPF.PNG
Temp-WPF.PNG (51.7KiB)Viewed 29792 times

Daniel

Re: 17.8 and MSIX Package

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:52 am

Hi Tim,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I can confirm you this is an issue in our 17.8 version. We have fixed it and the fix will be available in our next version (17.9) that should be release very soon.

When AI 17.9 is out I will notify you on this thread.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Daniel

Re: 17.8 and MSIX Package

Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:42 am

Hi Tim,

This was fixed starting with Advanced Installer 17.9 released on January 25th, 2021.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”