scottmcd9999

Updater Problems

Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:26 pm

When running the updater in my test scenario, I get the following error message:
AI Install Fail.png
Update Error Message
AI Install Fail.png (3.7KiB)Viewed 2338 times
I set the url directly in my code:

Dim url As String = "https://www.infotrakker.com/<path to my update.txt file on my server"

Dim proc As Process = Process.Start(updateModulePath, "/checknow -url=" & url)
proc.WaitForExit()

The updater checks for updates, but then throws the above error message.

I have nearly identical code working in a different application (only difference is the url), and I'm 100% confident the file referenced is on the server in the correct location (i can navigate to the file by copying/pasting the url into a browser), and the update file is in the correct location (I can copy/paste the url for that in the browser also)

The exit code is -536870888.

Thanks

Catalin

Re: Updater Problems

Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:17 pm

Hello,

I have tested this and everything worked as expected on my end.
UpdaterCLI.png
UpdaterCLI.png (28.32KiB)Viewed 2302 times
I have nearly identical code working in a different application (only difference is the url)
I am assuming that the configuration file is on a different location on the server, as compared to the working one.

Could you please make sure that there aren't any permissions that may deny our Updater.exe from downloading the configuration file?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

scottmcd9999

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:20 pm

I compared permissions on the two server folders, and they are identical.

As a test, I moved my update files over to the folder that is working on my server and changed the URL to match the new location. When testing, I got the same error.

I also used the updater.exe and updater.ini file from my working application in the bad application. When I ran those from my bad application, it worked, and I was prompted to download (although the downloads were for my other, working application, of course).

Catalin

Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:04 pm

Hello,
As a test, I moved my update files over to the folder that is working on my server and changed the URL to match the new location. When testing, I got the same error.

I also used the updater.exe and updater.ini file from my working application in the bad application. When I ran those from my bad application, it worked, and I was prompted to download (although the downloads were for my other, working application, of course).
From this, it looks like the issue is not with the location, but rather with the configuration file.

The enocuntered error (536870888) means:
ERROR_URL_NOT_FOUND (hex:0xE0000018 / decimal: -536870888) - The updates configuration file or an update file may be missing from the web server.
In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me the following resources, by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com:

- the .AIP file for the old and new version of the working setup

- the "Updates Configuration Project" for the working setup

- a download link for the (old) setup (which I can install and then perform an update through the Updater)

- the same resources for the non working setup

- some details about and, if possible, the script you are using to set the download link

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”