ybe

Hide password in install log

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:49 pm

Hi, have created an installer for my application with AI, and my issue is that the password is vissible in the log which is not good. I've looked around and found that i need to create a 'Set installer property' Custom Action and add it to MsiHiddenProperties..
How do I add the Custom Action to MsiHiddenProperties.. Can you please help me with that.

So far i have created the 'Set installer property' Custom Action with 'Property: SetInstallerProperty' and 'Value: [PASSWORD_1]; [PASSWORD_2]; [PASSWORD_3];'.

What do i do next in order to add this custom action to MsiHiddenProperties. The property field does not have any 'MsiHiddenProperties' property, and it doesn't allow me to create a property with that name, it says 'This name is reserved'..
Last edited by ybe on Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catalin

Re: Hide password in install log

Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:32 pm

Hello,

You may no longer need to do that.

If you want to hide your properties from the log file, you can use the "Hide property" option from the "Edit Property Dialog" ("Install Parameters" page).
Hide Property

Prevents the property from being written into the log file. This may be used to prevent the installer from displaying passwords or other confidential information in the log file.
Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

ybe

Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:54 pm

Okay, I didn't have the property in "Install Parameters", so I added it and enabled the "Hide property" option in the "Edit Property" dialog. The poperty however is still written into the log file..

MSI (c) (B4:C0) [17:12:22:021]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding PASSWORD_1 property. Its value is '12345678'.

Catalin

Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:00 pm

Hello,

This is quite strange, indeed.

I have ran a few tests on my end and everything seemed to be working as expected, i.e. the password is hidden in the log file.
Property(S): PASSWORD_1 = **********
In order for me to further investigate this, could you please create a sample project that reproduces this and forward it to me?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”