AndyL

Specifying Windows versions

Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:34 pm

In Launch Conditions, when I specify the Supported Operating Systems, if I tick "Windows 10 x64", does that mean the installer will run on any Windows 10 version? Or just the ones shown in the child list (currently up to Windows 10 v20H2)?

I guess what I'm asking is, if I build an installer now and give it to my customer, and then in a few months all their Windows 10 workstations get updated to v2104 (or whatever), does the installer I gave them stop working?

AndyL

Re: Specifying Windows versions

Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:17 pm

I've been trying to understand this a bit more, and maybe I've misinterpreted what the UI is doing.

If I go to Launch Conditions and select everything except Windows 10 x64 v20H2, and then I go to the table editor, in there it seems to map to a condition of:

( Version9X OR ( NOT VersionNT64 ) OR ( VersionNT64 AND ((VersionNT64 <> 1000) OR (MsiNTProductType <> 1) OR (WindowsBuild <> 19042)) ) )

If I've understood it correctly, install will continue if this condition is true. So if we're on 9x, or any 32-bit, or any 64-bit other than Windows 10, or any Windows 10 build other than 19042, the install will run (at least until the next condition is processed).

So on that basis, the installer will run on Windows 10 v21xx or any other future version. It will only refuse on the specific version that I unticked. It seems like on the Launch Conditions page, I'm not specifying which versions the installer will run on, I'm choosing versions I want it not to run on.

Can anyone confirm if my interpretation is correct?

If it is, I think the UI presentation is a bit misleading. It could be clearer that you're blocking specific versions, not allowing specific versions.

Catalin

Re: Specifying Windows versions

Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:41 pm

Hello Andy,
In Launch Conditions, when I specify the Supported Operating Systems, if I tick "Windows 10 x64", does that mean the installer will run on any Windows 10 version? Or just the ones shown in the child list (currently up to Windows 10 v20H2)?
If you have the "Windows 10 x64" option ticked (and all of its' child elements), then the answer is yes, the installer will run on any Windows 10 x64 version.

As you can see, the oldest version of that is "Windows 10 Version 1507 x64 (RTM)". If you uncheck that box, then your installer will not run on that version.
WinVer.png
WinVer.png (154.71KiB)Viewed 2336 times
Error.png
Error.png (98.41KiB)Viewed 2336 times

Hope things are clearer now!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”