TheFunk35

Wrapping an Existing MSI and Running MSIEXEC on it

I'm trying to make a silent installer that runs without any parameters being passed to it externally. I'd like to build that logic into my executable.

I have an existing MSI file that I want to run with specific parameters by default. I have a batch script with the parameters configured to run the MSI. I added the MSI and the batch script to my project and have configured Advanced Installer to build an EXE. When the user clicks the EXE it should launch the batch file to do the silent install of the internal MSI that I already have.

Alternatively if Advanced Installer can run the existing MSI file with those parameters for me, then I don't need the batch script.

The end goal is a silent installation of the already existent MSI, that occurs as soon as the executable is run without parameters.

Can someone help steer me in the right direction. I can't seem to get the custom actions working and occasionally I wind up with dialogs popping up, which I also don't want.

Thank you!
Catalin

Re: Wrapping an Existing MSI and Running MSIEXEC on it

Hello,

You do not really need to use a batch file in this case.

If you want the bootstrapper (EXE) to pass some parameters to your MSI file, you can proceed as it follows:

- go to "Builds" page and select the "Single EXE setup (resources inside)" option

- now scroll down and under "Bootstrapper Options", you should see the "MSI Command Line" field, where you can input the parameters you want passed to your MSI file

For instance, if you pass the "/qn" parameter to the MSI file, then no UI should be displayed during the install process.
occasionally I wind up with dialogs popping up, which I also don't want.
However, in some cases, the EXE bootstrapper may spawn some dialogs. An example of this is when you have "pre-install" prerequisites added to your package. Pre-install prerequisites are installed before the MSI is launched, therefore they are handled by our EXE boostrapper.

In that case, if you wish to display no UI at all, you should launch your EXE with a command line as it follows:

Code: Select all

setup.exe /exenoui
"EXE Setup File" article

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”