ronwee

Privileges assignment to the files

Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:12 pm

Hi I am building an MSI package and I am trying to understand what are the privileges assigned to the files after creating the package, as I keep hitting a bump trying to launch the application after installation and putting it in the startup folder.

I am doing a silent installation to per machine. My executables work just fine in any normal environment. We have use normal zip and send the application everywhere for our user to use. Now that I have packaged it into MSI. To launch after installation, I followed the Launch File article and also checked the Run as Administrator.

However, creating the short cut in Startup folder, after reboot, I can see my app in the Startup Apps, but it won't start. Also when I go to the Program Folder, it won't run until I run it as Administrator. I am puzzled why my application requires such high privileges now after installation , while it use to work properly.

thanks

Ron

Catalin

Re: Privileges assignment to the files

Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:12 pm

Hello Ron and welcome to our forums,

I can not really say why this is happening.

I have done some tests with a sample EXE on my end and everything worked as expected - the application was run after the reboot and also it did not require administrator privileges to be run from the installation folder.

Since it is a per-machine installation, could you please check the following folder:

Code: Select all

%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
and see if your shortcut was added?

On that respective machine, are you logged in as an administrator?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”